WINTER COOP Minnesota

Well our coop is done now for the winter. We *may* add insulation up in the ceiling next summer if necessary but with 5 windows and the vent around the entire eave and then a large vent up at the peak...with a fan, hopefully they will remain cool enough. We are not going to add any heat this winter, just a few extra hay bales. We positioned it so it would get morning sun rather than late afternoon sun. They've been very happy in their new 8 X 12 condo the past week but today we turned them out for the very first time. I am posting the video. It was pretty funny..
0.jpg

Ha! He is SO tired of working on it, he still has to finish the chicken wire on the top, just attached netting to about 1/3 of it. He can't wait to be done!!!!! Perfectionist, but very slow. :))

My chicks were in the coop for most of the day today. I really thought they'd be so much happier getting out...but I guess they didnt care that much!

Hi I too live in Duluth mn and I have a French Moran rooster his comb and waddles are turning black from frostbite what can you do for it any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tammy

I wouldn't be too overly concerned. My Cochin rooster's turned yellowish and is turning black on the tips. My friend in Esko said her's does that but the comb is back to normal in the spring. I have a heat lamp hanging and a thermometer to check humidity. The coop got down to 8 below last night but normally is up in the single digits. I refuse to move the lamp any closer to the chickens...and they seem perfectly fine. I mean they go out willingly every day when it's below 0....as long as there is no snow. They HATE walking on snow and they hate wind. If it's a calm day, they will go out as long as I cover the snow with hay.. Their turnout area is all hay now... The cold does not seem to bother them.

We just dealt with a problem the past few days though with the Starlings really taking over. Had to cover the 2 X 2" wire with chicken wire and netting...to keep them out. What a pain they were!!!!!! Made a mess in my coop too...which was otherwise very clean.

I only have two chickens so that might change a lot but the only heat source I have used (this is my first winter and it has been -27 C for a few weeks) was some heat tape under their lay boxes and inlaid into their perch. Heat tape is used to go around water pipes to keep them from freezing. It only goes on when the temp dips below 0. It keeps the chill off. My coop is built up at an angle and I keep the door open all the time (I closed it a couple days and they certainly didn't like that!) It was unintentional but my coop is working kind of like an igloo, where the heat rises and keeps the chickens warm and acts as a barrier to the cold air below. I have a skylight in the roof and I am watching for ice formation on the inside to make sure I don't have moisture accumulating, so far so good
One idea that failed was my water system inside with a water nipple. It is next to the door and wrapped in the heat tape but the nipple kept freezing so that experiment was a failure. I am going to pull it out next summer. For the winter I have have a heated dog water dish, they come out every day for water.

If the eggs roll towards the door (you can see it in the picture) they did freeze. I just put them straight into the freezer and used them for baking or scrambled eggs.
I can't believe how much fun I am having with these chickens. My husband and children continue to call me the crazy chicken lady!

Back
Top Bottom