Winter dust bath indoors?

StarfishPrime

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
Mountain Grove, Ontario
Hey folks. Our ladies are indoors for the winter and I was wondering if others here have a dust bath set up for their flock in the winter. Would sand in a kitty litter box with some Stall Dry (absorbent and deodorizer) suffice? Or is that a bad idea? Thoughts?
Much appreciated.

When I brought my chickens into the cabin for the week it was frigid here, I use one of those 30-inch diameter - 8-inch high rubber feeders from TS and filled it with dirt and herbs. My chickens really do not like sand.

My chickens have a dust bath tub inside. It is a lot bigger than a kitty litter box but I don't know how small is big enough.

I've put top soil, beach sand (from lake so no salt), play sand, and sandy soil in it. Each has been nearly the only thing in it. Sometimes it has been a pretty even mix of these ingredients.

Often, I put ashes in it also. Usually maybe 10% to 20% but sometimes up to half of it.

The chickens seem to like all of these.

Stall Dry is about 2/3 DE (diatomaceous earth) so it has too much risk of irritating their lungs for me to use it in the chicken coop. Especially in a dust bath where they stir it up so much. DE isn't just fine, it also sharp.

Back
Top Bottom