Winter guidelines for chickens

ChickPrincess

Songster
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
Canandaigua NY
I know, I know, it's muggy and hot and I'm thinking about winter. I have looked and seen no information on the guidelines of keeping chickens in the winter re: whether or not to let them outside.
At what temperature do they have to stay inside? If it's warmer than freezing, but there is snow on the ground can they go outside?
I want them to have fresh air whenever possible but don't want to put them in danger.
I am in NY.

I open their door and let them go out if they want unless it's snowing really heavily & drifting. We get high winds here, but even if it is 0 or less, I give them the option. They are usually out at least part of the time even on bad days.

would you share info.....im in va but i have found that info online has a tendency to disagree quite abit :(

mamabear,
I just did a search on this site for keywords "winter" and "outside". I think the breed will decide what to do. I have all winter hardy breeds, so I guess I don't need to worry as much as I thought I did.
I had originally been told by someone that a chicken's feet must never touch snow. I've been petrified of not doing the right thing!
There is often disagreement, but I read a lot and try to take the general consensus.

I live in SD. Mine are out all winter, I shut the pop up door at night if it is going to be below 0 F. Open it in the morning. Chickens do not like new things, so when they first see the snow on the ground, they won't want to step on it!

I use a lot of old hay in my coup and run, if bad weather is predicted, I will pile it up and the next morning, flip it on top of the snow. Makes them happier. I have a small coop, but in the run, I have a sun porch! haha, just a black box on its side, with the lid propped up, and an old glass window leaned against it. surprisingly warmer inside there, even with both sides wide open.

The most important thing for winter is more feed, and sending your birds to bed with full crops if it is expected to be below zero.

Mrsk

Back
Top Bottom