Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

woot.gif

they was all gonna hatch but the skrunk rap

My eggs go into lockdown on Wednesday too! I'm doing a staggered hatch 2nd batch due 5 days after the first.... Am scrambling to get 2nd bator to use as a hatcher as my friend didn't come through with bator as they were supposed to
he.gif

Work is really getting in the way of my chicken hatching.... Hmmm where to find an incubator in Los Angeles!! Hoping I'm able to pull this off!!
fl.gif

So for those of you going into Lockdown this week, who is going to use egg cartons to put the eggs in to hatch, and who is going to let them lay on their side to hatch?

I will not use egg cartons anymore.... They will be laying on their sides from here on out.

My hard thing is getting the temp regulated with the new thermostat. It was 122 yesterday..... so I made some changes and it was 97... I can work with that....

I will be using foam egg cartons to raise the floor of the incubator up to the level of the egg turner. They will hatch on their sides. By raising the floor, I will have the eggs in the same temperature zone they have been in while in the egg turner, thus better assuring the proper temp for lock down. Lock down is Wednesday!

I set a (duck) egg last Tuesday. I candled it today and don't see any veins. I set it it in my hova-bator on an automatic turner. This is my second time hatching my own but it's hard to remember what the first week was like. I see about dime sized blob at the bottom of the egg (small end) when I candle it. With some "floaty" things attached to blob.

Wow, I can't believe that so many people have lockdown on the same day as me! So exciting to have hatchmates!

After candling yesterday, I believe that I might have one egg with a late death in it. But it's not smelling yet and I have never hatched before, so I'm going to leave it be. So I am now down to 8 good eggs, if I'm unlucky with that one. That's still way more than I expected to have!

I did have a question for all you veterans out there: Are the eggs supposed to gain weight, or am I imagining things? Both my DH and myself has noticed this happening with our hatch. I thought eggs were supposed to get lighter due to water loss. Maybe they just feel more solid somehow? Weird!

Last edited:
I am going to take mine out of the carton and lay them slightly up with towel (lockdown wednesday night. That way they can hatch naturally. I have heard few died pipped on the bottom of the cartons
sad.png

So for those of you going into Lockdown this week, who is going to use egg cartons to put the eggs in to hatch, and who is going to let them lay on their side to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom