Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!

I kinda felt for the girls when i would check in on them and they were on the roost, snuggled together with their head under their wing. But they all did fine, i didn't notice any frostbite or any adverse effects from the cold. They did very well through the "polar vortex" -:lol
Awww, sounds like a great picture!

They do okay in subzeros for a short amount of time. But I think it is harder on them for extended periods of time. They stay roosted...don't eat at the feeder for very long or the waterer. My first winter we had extended period of subzeros --it was crazy. I do some supplemental heat with a radiant panel heater just to take the bite out of the air in the coop if we're in a really cold spell. -5 or -10F or more.... If it's 0 or above I shut it off. That's just me...and my observations with my particular birds.

My girls did great, even when it was below -10 with no heat. They were pullets last winter and I got 10 eggs a day from 13 pullets no matter how cold it was. They were out every day in the run where their food and water were kept. They didn't seem to like the snow. This year the first snowfall was just an inch. They were out running around in the white stuff.

One cool trick you can use to keep the water from freezing is put a light bulb in tin can (soup can) and of course have the light bulb on. Then put you tin can and light bulb in one of the square holes in the cinder block. Now just put the water bowl on top.

I started this spring with my first batch. So, this will be the first winter. I live in Northwest Wisconsin.

I converted an 8x10 shed to a coop. The outside walls are plywood. I just finished covering it with tar paper (roof felt) which makes a waterproof. Have two screened openings way up high. Put a combo of insulation rolls and pink sheets and T13 and other pieces on the inside. Now, am putting rolled insulation with plastic over in the ceiling sections. Put clear plastic over the screened window openings. Shortened the run a bit, just for winter, and plan to use tarps around the run to keep up cold and snow.

I really like the use of tar paper. It was easy to put up and I needed that waterproofing.

Will use a lower wattage light to enhance laying as it is dark here, a lot!

This is a lot of work but once it is done...the insulation will last forever. My chickens free range during the day but I do not expect that to happen much because of the snow.

Good idea to lay down straw in run!

Here in Wisconsin, we routinely stay in the below zero to teens area for temperature throughout January and February. We also will dip into the -20's with -40 wind chills, at least once during winter and often multiple times. We never provide heat, to the contrary we never close our shed up and keep a west facing door open year round.

Chickens are extremely cold hardy, I cringe when folks talk about heating them, they can heat themselves quite well. Adding supplemental heat can actually cause more harm as it can mess up their ability to acclimate, and cause big troubles if that heat is ever shut off.

I also read how some breeds are more cold hardy than others, which in my experiences hasn't been the case. I've had lots of different breeds, heavy breeds, light breeds, crested, silkies, frizzles, and d'uccle. I've never had a chicken not survive winter, they all do fine, I haven't noticed a difference in how a breed does during winter. The exception is roosters with large combs and wattles will often get frostbite and lose their comb points, but they get over it without intervention and don't get frostbite the following year.

Provide fresh clean, unfrozen water, block prevailing winds, provide proper roosts, put down some hay or straw to stand on outside, warm mash on really cold days, and south facing windows for sunshine and your birds will do fine.

Here in Wisconsin, we routinely stay in the below zero to teens area for temperature throughout January and February. We also will dip into the -20's with -40 wind chills, at least once during winter and often multiple times. We never provide heat, to the contrary we never close our shed up and keep a west facing door open year round.

Chickens are extremely cold hardy, I cringe when folks talk about heating them, they can heat themselves quite well. Adding supplemental heat can actually cause more harm as it can mess up their ability to acclimate, and cause big troubles if that heat is ever shut off.

I also read how some breeds are more cold hardy than others, which in my experiences hasn't been the case. I've had lots of different breeds, heavy breeds, light breeds, crested, silkies, frizzles, and d'uccle. I've never had a chicken not survive winter, they all do fine, I haven't noticed a difference in how a breed does during winter. The exception is roosters with large combs and wattles will often get frostbite and lose their comb points, but they get over it without intervention and don't get frostbite the following year.

Provide fresh clean, unfrozen water, block prevailing winds, provide proper roosts, put down some hay or straw to stand on outside, warm mash on really cold days, and south facing windows for sunshine and your birds will do fine.

My first thought... is MOVE SOUTH :lol

My second thought - thank you for a great reponse based on your experinces :)

Last edited:
My first thought... is MOVE SOUTH :lol

My second thought - thank you for a great reponse based on your experinces :)
1f600.png
I actually enjoy our climate here as I'm cold blooded. I do smile a bit when I read of folks saying their temperatures are down to the 20-30's, which for us is a warm balmy day. Chickens do have more problems in hot weather than cold.

1f600.png
I actually enjoy our climate here as I'm cold blooded. I do smile a bit when I read of folks saying their temperatures are down to the 20-30's, which for us is a warm balmy day. Chickens do have more problems in hot weather than cold.

That i totally agree with... heat is far harder on chickens and turkeys than cold is. My Burbon Reds really seemed to have a hard time during the heat but they pulled through it... they must have an option to move to the shade if they choose to, just as in winter the must have an option to move into the sun - although being in the heartland of southern IL we dont get many sunny days in the winter months... that's when I have to start taking vitamin D3.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom