Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!

Quote: I use low wattage but high lumen output LED bulbs. 9 watts equal to 60 watt incandescent. I also use compact fluorescent bulbs. 13 watt. equal to 60 watt incandescent. I prefer the LED since the price really came down on them recently. They are about $2 each.

I use low wattage but high lumen output LED  bulbs.  9 watts equal to 60 watt incandescent.  I also use compact fluorescent bulbs. 13 watt. equal to 60 watt incandescent.    I prefer the LED  since the price really came down on them recently.   They are about $2 each. 

Ive used either florescent or compact fluorescent only because florescents more closely mimics natural sunlight (uv spectrum). Maybe that doesnt matter with chickens but it does with plants. Do the new fangled LED bubls mimic natural sunlight?

Last edited:
Ive used either florescent or compact fluorescent only because florescents more closely mimics natural sunlight (uv spectrum). Maybe that doesnt matter with chickens but it does with plants. Do the new fangled LED bubls mimic natural sunlight?
Not sure if they do or not. they are SOFT WHITE, 800 lumens. 9 watt. Supposed to last 22 years. I know its not continuously on for 22 years . Based on 3 hours per day. Light appearance is 2700K which makes it a warm rather than cool.

Do they have to mimic natural sunlight? I did not know that.
tongue.png
I don;t think it matters much to chickens. Not to mine anyways. Have been keeping chickens for about 20 years, and no complaints yet.
gig.gif
I only keep chickens as pets so flock is small. 20 years ago there were no CFL bulbs, so I used 24 inch tube flourescent lights. Sometimes in cold weather they took a while to turn on. I always kept lights on a automatic timer for 12 hours. The CFL bulbs turn on in cold ambient with no problems. LED's likewise. Have been keeping pigeons for about 5 years. The loft is lit up by these lights. During the day the pigeons have the option of staying in the loft, or exit into the outdoor aviary. Often they just don't feel like hanging out in the outdoors If the light was bothering them, then I assume they would want to stay out much more time. At night all lights are out. I do keep a small nite lite on always in garage where loft is. My cats share garage as well.

Not sure if they do or not.   they are SOFT WHITE,  800 lumens. 9 watt.   Supposed to last 22 years.   I know its not continuously on for 22 years . Based on 3 hours per day.  Light appearance is 2700K which makes it a warm rather than cool.

I don;t think it matters much to chickens.   Not to mine anyways.  Have been keeping chickens for about 20 years, and no complaints yet.:gig I only keep chickens as pets so flock is small.   20 years ago there were no  CFL bulbs, so I used 24 inch tube flourescent lights. Sometimes in cold weather they took a while to turn on.  I always kept lights on a automatic timer for 12 hours.  The CFL bulbs turn on in cold ambient with no problems.  LED's likewise.   Have been keeping pigeons for about 5 years. The loft is lit up by these lights. During the day the pigeons have the option of staying in the loft, or exit into the outdoor aviary.  Often they just don't feel like hanging out in the outdoors  If the light was bothering them, then I assume they would want to stay out much more time.  At night all lights are out.  I do keep a small nite lite on always in garage where loft is.  My cats share garage as well. 

Shoping for light bulbs used to be easy - have you went to the store lately? Good God man you now need a PHD in lighting to just buy the right bulb - simply crazy nutso... i tried the new fangled CFLs a few years ago in the house - i had two blow up and send shards of glass all over the kitchen and all over the wife. Shes like *** and I'm like ***, so i now buy lightbulbs at dollar tree. Yep good ole incandescents, 2 for $1. Haven't had one blow up yet and we can actually see in the house now. CFLs dont put out near the light as the good old incandescents. CFLs are total junk if you ask me. I haven't tried LEDs yet - dont see a need

Last edited:
Shoping for light bulbs used to be easy - have you went to the store lately? Good God man you now need a PHD in lighting to just buy the right bulb - simply crazy nutso... i tried the new fangled CFLs a few years ago in the house - i had two blow up and send shards of glass all over the kitchen and all over the wife. Shes like *** and I'm like ***, so i now buy lightbulbs at dollar tree. Yep good ole incandescents, 2 for $1. Have had one blow up yet and we can actually see in the house now. CFLs dont put out near the light as the good old incandescents. CFLs are total garbage if you ask me.

I have had good luck with my CFL;s never a blowout, but I did have them burn out sooner than the claimed lifespan. I like them because they do not get the sockets in the light fixture so hot like regular incandescent. My favorite lately are the LED's. They are nice light and run cool to touch. No fried out light fixtures. (I know it takes a few years)

Lighting questions often come up.

Posted this on other threads, hope it helps:

There are a lot of opinions on supplementing light to keep the chickens laying during time period where there is less than 12-14 hours of available daylight.

My coop gets ~16 hours of light now 365 days per year.
My birds seem to molt regardless.

Having had to install electricity for the thermostatically controlled water heater, I took advantage and installed a lighting system.

My system has two timers. The first is set to turn the lights on at 5am, off at 9pm.
This timer also is used as the to power my heated nest boxes when called for.
For the lights, timer goes on, power passes through a photocell, then to a 300 lumen LED bulb, 4.8 watts, in the coop, and 2 - 4.8 watt LEDs for the outside run.
These bulbs are considered warm, around 3000k, which my research lends me to believe are best suited for stimulating the pineal gland.
I light the outdoor run because I found the birds huddled outside the coop door in the dark one 5:30am morning...
They have access to the run 24/7, as it is as secure as the coop.

The lights are on only when it is dark enough outside to be necessary (photocell).
The time on very closely mimics my Summer Solstice.

The second timer is set to go on at 8:30pm, off at 9:30pm, a diffused 200 lumen LED 4 watt bulb.
This low light allows the birds to settle in before all lights out.

I have used this method for a few years now, works well, some of my flock members are >9 years old now... all seem happy and unstressed.

This system costs less than $10 per year to operate.

Back
Top Bottom