Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!

My dad and I decided to put in electrical boxes for the coop, so I have electrical boxes that i would plug the lamps into.

Timer are not complicated at all. Here is a link to one for $5. I do have this one and it is very easy to operate. No need to have a Rocket Science Degree.
smile.png
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=lamp+timers
WOW! I might do that!

Cave man, can you please clarify? I have great summertime air flow, but ventilating without drafts, how do I accomplish that? My coup is 8x6x5, currently six birds. The coup is raised, with 2 small openings at floor level, 2 windows halfway up, people access door with screen, and one 4 foot by 4 inch opening at the peak. All of the openings, with the exception of the peak one, have covers. Not sure if this makes sense, but any help is appreciated. I am headed into the winter (Utah, near Provo) and it will be my first with the chickens.

Cave man, can you please clarify? I have great summertime air flow, but ventilating without drafts, how do I accomplish that? My coup is 8x6x5, currently six birds. The coup is raised, with 2 small openings at floor level, 2 windows halfway up, people access door with screen, and one 4 foot by 4 inch opening at the peak. All of the openings, with the exception of the peak one, have covers. Not sure if this makes sense, but any help is appreciated. I am headed into the winter (Utah, near Provo) and it will be my first with the chickens.

Summertime airflow is ideal when it is warm. You have that. When winter comes, you want airflow, but not draft. Draft, means airflow blowing kind of directly at your chicken and blowing away its body heat. The 2 windows halfway up you say have covers available. During cold, those you would close. You would also try to close off airflow in the screened access door. Try to do so as to still allow light to enter coop. Maybe use clear plastic?. The small opening on the bottom can stay opened. This way you would have a constant supply of air to go thru the coop and out the peak vent. You want to be able to remove moist air as well as ammonia. THE GENTLE AIR MOVEMENT IN THE COOP IS WHAT YOU WANT RATHER THAN WIND BLOWING INTO COOP.
Ask anything else you are not sure of.
smile.png

Summertime airflow is ideal when it is warm.  You have that.   When winter comes, you want airflow, but not draft.  Draft, means airflow blowing kind of directly at your chicken and blowing away its body heat.  The  2 windows halfway up you say have covers available.  During cold, those you would close.   You would also try to close off airflow in the screened access door.  Try to do so as to still allow light to enter coop.  Maybe use clear plastic?.  The small opening on the bottom can stay opened.  This way you would have a constant supply of air to go thru the coop and out the peak vent.   You want to be able to remove moist air as well as ammonia.  THE GENTLE AIR MOVEMENT IN THE COOP IS WHAT YOU WANT RATHER THAN WIND BLOWING INTO COOP.
Ask anything else you are not sure of. :)

Great advice! Thanks!

Anyone know what kind of a submersible water heater would keep the ice out of a small kiddie pool? I want to keep it thawed for my ducks this winter. Just wondering what wattage would handle this size of a pool.

Anyone know what kind of a submersible water heater would keep the ice out of a small kiddie pool? I want to keep it thawed for my ducks this winter. Just wondering what wattage would handle this size of a pool.
Stock tank water heaters will keep water from freezing. The big question is how much wattage. That will all depend on the outside temperature in your area. Some heaters rated for 250 watts look like they would do the trick up to certain temperatures. The 500 watt heaters might send you to the poor house after you see your electric bill
Here is a link to one sold by Farm and Fleet.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...feedsource=3&gclid=CNqC5-CWudACFYsvgQodRHwA9w

The stock tank deicer I use looks like the one in cavemanrich's link. We didn't have any noticeable increase in our electric bill while using it. The only problem with it for ducks and geese is that it rests on the bottom. As my neighbor who has had ducks and geese for years explained to me, ducks and geese make a muddy mess out of their water. With the mud on the bottom the deicer might not work properly unless you are going to drain it regularly. So I bought a floating one for the ducks and geese as she suggested. It also needed a metal cage type thing that surrounds it if you use it in plastic so that it doesn't come in direct contact with the plastic sides. However, I have to admit that this is just for their water, not for swimming. The sides of the tank are high enough that they don't climb in but can get drinks. I figure if we get a nice day I'll fill up their pool for the one day as a treat.

The stock tank deicer I use looks like the one in cavemanrich's link. We didn't have any noticeable increase in our electric bill while using it.
I guess it depends where you live. Here in the LAND OF LINCOLN (Illinois) It should be renamed as Land Of Serfdom. Our electric provider
CommonWEALTH Edison keeps requesting rate increases seem like on a continuous basis. They keep getting them, but on incremental stages. When it happens often , then the amount does go up significantly. They installed new meters called SMART METERS. Only thing smart about them is advantage for ComEd to charge you more. Currently the politicians/regulators are reviewing these requests/practices. I do not hold my breath that it will favor the consumer. The above is based on News Reports of the latest request by ComEd. Local ABC, or NBC in the last week. Not sure witch.

Back
Top Bottom