Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

How do you attach the shower curtains to the run without tearing them.? Did they stand on in high winds? Thank you

I use 1" deck screws and a 3/4" fender washer on each screw to prevent rip outs. I put a screw in every 9 inches or so. I bought some cheap plastic shower curtains online, and they ripped within a couple of weeks. So I started over, and found some much thicker, but still cheap vinyl shower curtains at a local Ocean State Job Lots store (New England chain). They were $4 for a 6'x6' curtain, so I was able to do the entire run for $32. These lasted from December to April, and I am using the same curtains again, so I should get at least two seasons out of them. Wind was never an issue, as the entire run was covered with curtains, so the wind could only push the curtains into the run side, not away from it (no wind could blow from the inside of the run towards the outside since all sides were covered). We had plenty of windy days and nights, and I never had a problem of the curtains ripping away.

The best advice that I can give you is to "be prepared". It is far easier to get things set-up now in moderate weather and have plenty of options to open close vent flaps or turn on electric than to scramble during a sub zero blowing snow event. Ideally..... open vents downwind and closed upwind to keep drafty air off the birds. Heated water will save you from hauling water often if you live in a cold region.

Thanks so much everyone!

Today the weather is actually rather warm, but I know it's just temporary.

Yesterday I had to patch a gap in my fence because I came home to four birds wandering around my neighbors houses.
At first I thought they must have flown over, as the leghorns take a notion to do sometimes. But after putting them all back in, I saw the fattest bird (Dodo the Marans) squeeze right back out through a gap. Patched the gap temporarily with some wires and wood.

I'll be busy this weekend.
roll.png
I should have noticed this sooner!

So from what I can gather, it's wise to start early and plan for your birds needs.
1. Water, either bringing water out a few times a day or having a heated-water method via electricity or solar power
2. Keeping the wind off- by determining the orientation of the coop and making decisions about drafts and ventilation
3. Offering plenty of food to maintain energy and warmth in the bird. (Already my ladies love suet and BOSS)
4. Frequently checking on the birds and adjusting to their needs
5. Creatively (but fiscally responsibly) altering run space to a winter-hardy set up (outdoor roosting areas, plastic covers, tarps, etc)
6. Using wider roosts when possible, so they keep their feet warmer

Did I miss anything?
I'm going to be looking into the small aquarium water heaters, and the Avian heated waterers. I'm also pricing out simple, inexpensive solar power panels and kits. (I figure just for the water system, since I work such long days I can't bring the water out often enough) I have found some that look pretty easy to install and are not that expensive. Whichever seems to work best for my set-up is what I'll go with.

Keep the stories and experiences coming everyone! Now I know never to put styrofoam around those chickens, thanks to some anecdotes. I love the pictures as well!

-Lady

Sounds like you are making good plans. If you do get an aquarium heater, do not get a glass one. If a glass one runs out of water, it cracks / shatters. They sell stainless steel heaters, and this would be a much better option. Just try to keep the heater in water at all times. A 50 watt heater is more than enough to keep water from freezing.

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas here we use clear contractors plastic to cover our runs keeps wind and snow out let's sun in we also save all of the fall leaves and put that inside the run to give them something to walk on and scratch around in its better then just cold hard ground we also add extra meal worms as a treat and they love that and straw is great for insulation and doesn't flatten down so quickly

Last edited:
We stack hay bails to make a wind break and keep the coop a little cozier. You can just see them in the picture. Also I rake up lots of pine needles in the fall and save them in bags so when it snows I can throw out fresh ones for them to walk on. They will not walk on snow, spoiled girls!
900x900px-LL-1fd8710c_48643_p1060886.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom