Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I've seen mine take on good sized leopard frogs and tree frogs. Small painted turtle. LOL. That didn't go as well. But the mice in the coop they ignore for some reason and I really wish they would rush those dang things out!...but they seem to like 'em as room mates for some reason. Ugh.

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:
Alaskan, I just checked out your coop page. You get SOOOOO much snow! I'm amazed that you AND your chickens have survived all of that! I bet it's beautiful! I know it makes for a lot of work but it's really amazing! You have a great set up too. Fort Knox runs are great!!! I love that you care enough to spend so much time to make them safe. What part of Alaska do you live in?

Alaskan, I just checked out your coop page. You get SOOOOO much snow! I'm amazed that you AND your chickens have survived all of that! I bet it's beautiful! I know it makes for a lot of work but it's really amazing! You have a great set up too. Fort Knox runs are great!!! I love that you care enough to spend so much time to make them safe. What part of Alaska do you live in?

I live on the lower Kenai Peninsula, so, except for the rainforest part of Alaska over by Juno, I am in the warmest area.

Thanks for the compliments. I am right now having to redo the duck yard, a raptor has found them, and they weren't in a covered run. :rolleyes:

Poor babies! Did you lose any t those predators? I pray not!! You have done so much work already. I can imagine you have many hungry aminals running around looking for easy prey. I hope you get that taken care of soon!

I had a murder of crows all summer, so no raptors at all. All summer my geese and ducks got to go wherever they wanted.

But.....the crows have left me, :hit so the raptors are back. And yep, I lost one duck, my second favorite.

Everyone else will be find though, since they are totally locked up now. Less space for them, but it isn't that many months until spring when I can easily build a big covered yard is it? (Insane laughter since spring is about May 10th).

I
I had a murder of crows all summer, so no raptors at all. All summer my geese and ducks got to go wherever they wanted.

But.....the crows have left me, :hit so the raptors are back. And yep, I lost one duck, my second favorite.

Everyone else will be find though, since they are totally locked up now. Less space for them, but it isn't that many months until spring when I can easily build a big covered yard is it? (Insane laughter since spring is about May 10th).
s there anyway you could just string some twine back n forth over the run so the pests can swoop into the run? Just go from fence top to fence top with baking twine making "x's" all over. So if they try to dive in they will get tangled in the twine. You could hang old cd's on there as reflectors that would confuse them too. It might be a good temporary solution at least.

Back
Top Bottom