Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
Let me know what you discover I am down to 1 egg a day too! My hens are on their 4 trip around the sun however. Their manure is the main reason they are here. I have vegetable gardens My coop is the metal 4x8 shed.

Unfortunately, I don't know the age of my hens or rooster. When I was first learning I got a "package deal" from my girlfriend. She gifted me with some hens and a rooster (all of whom had mites and I had to spend quite a bit of time getting rid of them). This spring will be my first time raising babies (actually, the person I'm buying from will raise them until they're feathered. I have no where to put them and can't bring them inside due to high bird allergies) and I'm adding ducklings as well. I'll let you know if the lights end up working for me or not. lol

I'll let you know if the lights end up working for me or not. lol
I would suggest Led Lights possibly or you may be spending a dollar trying to save 10¢.

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:
I haven't had an egg in a few weeks now. I just started laying out some corn with their crumbles, and started experimenting with lights. During the summer I received 4-6/day (only three of my hens lay), then it dropped to one a day, then one every other day. Now? NOTHING! Any advice or tips?
They need about 14-16 hours of light a day. It can take a couple weeks or more to effect their laying, if they're molting all bets are off despite lighting.
Corn is almost pure carbohydrate that will help supply energy to keep warm, but has very little other nutritional value so won't really help with laying-they need protein to make eggs.

Good article on supplemental light.

They need about 14-16 hours of light a day. It can take a couple weeks or more to effect their laying, if they're molting all bets are off despite lighting.
Corn is almost pure carbohydrate that will help supply energy to keep warm, but has very little other nutritional value so won't really help with laying-they need protein to make eggs.

Good article on supplemental light.

An old farmer suggested giving them cat food. Have you ever heard of anything like this before?

PS. Why does it still say I just hatched? I've been on here since 2011!

I love those sweaters! Lol. I'm thinking about making a bunch of Hens "aprons" to sell on eBay or Etsy. Don't know what kind of money I can make off of them but when I get a few different styles made up I'll post pics. This is probably the best time of year to make them up but with my baking business and babysitting, chickens and dog, husband and housekeeping not to mention Holidays and Physical therapy...my plates a little full. Lol

I don't know the age of my hens or rooster. "Age definitely is a factor"!
Quote:
An old farmer suggested giving them cat food. Have you ever heard of anything like this before? Yes, meat builder (higher protein feed may help too)

PS. Why does it still say I just hatched? I've been on here since 2011! No Clue?? Maybe your shell was thicker than most BYCER's LOL.

Last edited:
An old farmer suggested giving them cat food. Have you ever heard of anything like this before?

PS. Why does it still say I just hatched? I've been on here since 2011!
Cat food can be a good animal protein source, but the cheap ones might not be so good for the same reasons that any cheap foods are not so good.

The 'silly little titles' go by number of posts.

I have a friend who feeds his hens pig chow.....and nothing else. He gets a ton of eggs, they are huge and very good.

Back
Top Bottom