Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
What do those of you who have wet cold do to keep the moisture out? Does that make any sense at all? I'm in the south and I swear its humid when it snows. I'm in the mountains and still get snow and ice storms.

You can't really make the air inside the coop drier than what it is outside....I suggest getting a thermometer/hygrometer (and test the hygrometer so you can record accurate readings) so you know exactly what the conditions are.

I found that the colder the air the less moisture it can hold. We had below zero temps at about 20% humidity, then the temps would rise up to near freezing and the humidity would rise up to 50+% and that's when the frostbite would appear.

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but I have a tractor style coop that doesn't have any vents, just a roosting area up top and a wired run below. I have clear plastic tarps that I put over the run when it rains heavily, and was thinking I could use those in the winter to lock in heat, but now am concerned about the amount of moisture that could generate... What would my best option be for ensuring they stay warm enough? Just building up extra hay perhaps? The winters here aren't super cold, but we definitely get some snow and drop below freezing. Reading this thread has me worried I am not prepared enough for the coming winter!

Just keep telling yourself...they are FINE in the cold!
hugs.gif

You need wide perches, close to 4 inches wide.

You need LOTS of ventilation! (Do not panic at the cold and lock them up tight)

Keep the water away from where they roost to keep your humidity down. I like it outside in a sheltered spot, if possible.

They truly are great in cold!
Thanks so much! That makes me feel so much better! I am such a worry wart with my animals even though I try not to be!

What do those of you who have wet cold do to keep the moisture out? Does that make any sense at all? I'm in the south and I swear its humid when it snows. I'm in the mountains and still get snow and ice storms.

I combat it by having a great deal of ventilation. I have almost 7 inches tall along two and a half walls of the shed part of my coop.

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but I have a tractor style coop that doesn't have any vents, just a roosting area up top and a wired run below.  I have clear plastic tarps that I put over the run when it rains heavily, and was thinking I could use those in the winter to lock in heat, but now am concerned about the amount of moisture that could generate... What would my best option be for ensuring they stay warm enough?  Just building up extra hay perhaps?  The winters here aren't super cold, but we definitely get some snow and drop below freezing.  Reading this thread has me worried I am not prepared enough for the coming winter! 

I would figure out a way to use the tarp with it standing out and away from the tractor.

Sort of like an umbrella instead of a raincoat. Actually, depending on the size of the coop, you might be able to use one of those actual patio umbrellas.

Any way you could add at least a little vent to the roosting part of the tractor?

about heating your water,i read, and am going to try this,a lady took a tin like you get cookies in snipped a hole in it bought the wiring set up for a lamp clipped that to the tin and used a 40 watt bulb,put the lid back on the tin and set the waterer on top and turned it off during the day when temps were warmer,i am new to chicken raising and this will be my 1st winter,i have been doing a lot of reading about how to winterize my run,their coop which is wood and is inside the run so it should stay pretty warm after I close the run in ,which I bought 12 x12 dog run panels,the roof I put trusses up and have 1/4 inch welded wire and tarps,working on the roof and hope to have it up before winter

about heating your water,i read, and am going to try this,a lady took a tin like you get cookies in snipped a hole in it bought the wiring set up for a lamp clipped that to the tin and used a 40 watt bulb,put the lid back on the tin and set the waterer on top and turned it off during the day when temps were warmer,i am new to chicken raising and this will be my 1st winter,i have been doing a lot of reading about how to winterize my run,their coop which is wood and is  inside the run so it should stay pretty warm after I close the run in ,which I bought 12 x12 dog run panels,the roof I put trusses up and have 1/4 inch welded wire and tarps,working on the roof and hope to have it up before winter

Hi there! Yes there is a thread I think called "how to make a cookie tin water heater" which details the process with photos.
Just be sure to find an incandescent bulb, which are getting really hard to find lately, everyone sells the CFLs instead, which won't work.

I wound up purchasing a heated base last fall, because I could not, for any price, find that kind of bulb.
:confused:
The base I bought works great though. I think it's exactly the same concept.
Good luck with your tin!

Were do you find the heated base? I have the trough deicer for the birds and animals in the barn, but that sounds great for the coops.

For the cookie tin heater google the chicken chick cookie tin heater. Mine to make was literally under $10. They work like a charm. I do for safety set it up on a cement piece from a demo pit. I just don't want the hot tin in shavings. About 40 watts is all your going to want to go to for heat out if that bulb. 25 watt can be a little too cool for us here in northern mn but may just work fine for folks that stay in the 20-30 degree range.

Back
Top Bottom