Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

The thing that bugs me is this: all the advice says that the coop "...should have ample ventilation BUT no drafts". And I'm guessing this is even more important in the winter time in the very cold areas! However, what exactly is "ample ventilation"? And how does one avoid creating a draft while ensuring "ample ventilation" in a small coop? Any tips and ideas will be welcomed !

You keep the ventilation air movement away from the birds, so they are not in the breeze, the easiest way it to install the ventilation up high above their roosting point...

The thing that bugs me is this: all the advice says that the coop "...should have ample ventilation BUT no drafts". And I'm guessing this is even more important in the winter time in the very cold areas! However, what exactly is "ample ventilation"? And how does one avoid creating a draft while ensuring "ample ventilation" in a small coop? Any tips and ideas will be welcomed !

Draft is air blowing from one spot to another

Ventilation is air exchange

It is nice in the winter if, like that red coop up above by JackE, all winter venting is on one side.. Because then it isn't blowing through the coop.

I have drafty coops... So I just make sure that there is NO draft at the sleeping perches. I acomplish that goal by using a poop tray (that blocks air from below), and then I use as solid a wall as possible directly behind the perch on the back wall.

And PLEASE trust me, buttoning up the coop greatly increases humidity and then frostbite and all kinds of disease.... OPEN up the coop!!

Thanks for the speedy response Aart. I read the excellent article on ventilation that you referred me to, and feel more confident about sorting out the ventilation before another gruesome Illinois winter sets in! One more question tho - if the ventilation is there, but perhaps not quite enough or, indeed, a bit too drafty and directly flowing onto the roost, do you think a red heat lamp will help to (a) reduce the negative effects of the draft and (b) help to move the air flow upwards to the vent and (c) dry the air ?

thanks Alaskan... I think I'll have to figure out a way to re-direct the incoming air as currently, it goes directly upwards onto the roost. I did not build the coop, it was here when we bought the property. As it is insulated and pretty and trimmed, it is really not feasible to make any major changes to its construction.

Heat Lamps scare the pants off of me..... (Not a pretty sight)

Also, heat lamps will tempt the birds to just sit there under them, and go stir crazy, not get used to the cold, and not stay healthy.

Thanks for the speedy response Aart. I read the excellent article on ventilation that you referred me to, and feel more confident about sorting out the ventilation before another gruesome Illinois winter sets in! One more question tho - if the ventilation is there, but perhaps not quite enough or, indeed, a bit too drafty and directly flowing onto the roost, do you think a red heat lamp will help to (a) reduce the negative effects of the draft and (b) help to move the air flow upwards to the vent and (c) dry the air ?
No. Fix the ventilation.
Best to have vents that can be closed, adjusted or partially blocked off during extreme weather events.

So... I use a nipple watering bucket... any suggestions on how to keep that from freezing?

I am planning on adding an aquarium heater to mine. I looked on amazon, and they are really inexpensive. I have a 5 gallon water bucket with 3 nipples, I am hoping a 100 W aquarium heater will be warm enough. Has anyone used this system?

Back
Top Bottom