Winter night time routine

This is exactly what Tina and I struggle with plus an added concern. Our ducks are just now reaching a level of maturity for flight, 3 males and 3 female Muscovies. The ratio is something we'll have to fix at some point, but we're trying to get everything settled and secure with what we have. The females started flying first and 2 of 3 males finally have caught up to them. We live on 3 acres and during the day, the six ducks and two geese free range. I get home from work just as the sun is setting and sometimes it's a real chore to get them all gathered and put into their coop. None of them have flown away but they have found the top of the chicken run is a great place to watch the world go by. Also, my truck when I leave it in the back is another favorite roosting spot. And boy does it need a bath in the worst way!!! The last place is on our roof, which makes for a real fun night of coaxing them down from there!! Both of us work, and the thought of taking away their ability to avoid any predators is the only thing keeping me from clipping flight feathers. And until the spring I'm not inclined to build anything more unless I absolutely need to. I hate putting them in the coop so early, but the thought of trying to shephard and cage them a few hours later is daunting to say the least. Every day I feel like "today is the day" that I come home to a loss of one of our little buddies which then forces a very hard decision. We both know, its not if but when. On the other side of that, I leave for work at 5:30 AM and they get an early release. They all seem to tolerate it well so far and haven't started any hunger strikes, or at least they're not shy when Daddy shows up with the meal worms!!! As winter progresses it will be interesting to see how much this routine changes.

Troy & Tina

I have a small flock of Runner's and just before its dark I go out and walk them once around their shed, they then freely walk in and since I already have food and fresh water there I close the door till morning. No complaints from them other than in the summer when its light at 6:30 and they want out and I'm still in bed.

This is my winter with ducks.

This is what i'm doing bu I have no idea if it is enough.

I let the ducks out of their pen between 6:00am and 6:30am...as soon the first blush of dawn is visible. On rainy days It can be as late as 7am before dawn rises over the mountain & our forest.

They have free roam around the yard while I change water, clean feed bowl & water bowls, fluff bedding, check for eggs (still 0!!), etc. Then I put hem in their portable foraging pen with a big bowl of bath water. I walk my dogs while they bathe and play ducky games in the water, hunt bugs, etc.

I put dogs in & ten i walk the ducks back to their pen, hand feed some treats, talk to everyone & give them some skritchies. triple check that i locked the gate & leave for work.

I get back home after dark. I go down to their pen with nightly food, a steamed potato and goodies. I check their water, refilling if needed. 7 times out of 10 they're floating in the pond when i go down there.

Their pen is a converted dog kennel with a secure top & hardware cloth on the sides. They have two windbreaks, a dogloo a 70 gallon pond & ramp inside. They keep very busy in there during the day. I usually come home to about 4 inches of straw in their bathing bowl. They purposefully refill it every day.

On weekends and days off they are outside in the forage pen from 6:30am until 4:00. I also let them free forage around the yard when we're available to supervise.

Our yard isn't fenced right now. We're not even sure we'll be able to fence it due to the terrain.

I feel horribly guilty about it now that it's getting dark outside so early. Before our time changed they were getting about an hour of free forage time after work.

I give my girls a whole cabbage every couple of days. Every morning they get a steamed potato for breakfast. On cold night they also get a steamed potato.

I also got a pound of red wiggler compost worms and turned them out into their bedding a few weekends ago. The worms are happily working the soil and the girls eat the ones they find.

Hi All,
Love this thread... I am new to ducks and we have been buying time with a warm November getting a winter pen in place for daytime space.
We are using the underside of our screened in porch /deck... house walls N and W, weld wire fence up, hardware cloth is almost done, doors added (2, we store an extension ladder under there against the wall on hooks). Very dry spot with river rock. I will cover the rock with pine shavings and straw as soon as we are predator proof for them to wander inside the pen. Size is 16 x approx 10 ft. for 4 ducks (2 runners, 2 WH hens). The past two days have been nasty rainy, high wind weather. Our yard looks like a swamp in some spots. The ducks fave place to dig, at the end of the downspout! Manna from heaven!

Routine (for shorter days: (south central WI)
Morning: let them out about 7:15-30, they wander and forage while I fill water pans and feed. I try to draw them from the pen so they do their morning "dump" where I can hose it down rather than in the pen.
They will either spend the day (while at work)in a day pen (5 x 10ft), tractor with 3 -3 gal pans of water, feed and grit/oyster shell to pick at.
This has been a good place until just recently. Corn behind our yard has been harvested and coyotes have been spotted, as well as a hawk.
I have had solar power elec wire on this around the base which has been defective for a couple of weeks. Buying time.

Evening: They get forage time while I clean up pans and prep them for the morning. I put a 3 gal jug (a former cat litter jug with side cut away-works great for bath time and water does not go everywhere) water and a couple cups of fresh feed in pan in their night coop. Get them in there and they can eat, groom or go up ramp to their "loft" bedding/nest box. I have them secure in there for a little while with some supplemented light. This is about 5:15-30, and about 7pm I go out and check them. They are usually in the loft for the night. I slide the door shut, remove the feed bowl and call it a night.

I do not like the extended hours of coop time either during these shorter days. I have to remind myself God made them to handle that better than I do!
I hate shorter days! They are fine. Still laying 4 eggs a day, and nice ones too.

I will have power for heated water bowl and light this weekend under thee deck in the pen. I have also asked my kids for an X hose for the holiday, and I have a 3 gal pail that works well if I have to take water from the house if hose is frozen. We have a spout/valve that is not supposed to freeze in winter, but I am hesitant to use it under 40*F. Do not want to replace plumbing anytime soon.

Plastic will go up around pen for wind/snow block. Clear vinyl on the side we can see in from the kitchen. I have some logs they can play with, but as for toys- I tried ping pong balls in their pool this summer, no interest. Anyone have experience with certain colors, etc that would draw their attention and curiosity?

Thanks all!

PS... for those who saw my post about egg bound Betty- she is fine. A warm bath in the laundry tub, calcium coated frozen peas and she was all better.
Make sure gals get their calcium!

I have chickens that set the time for going in now that it gets dark early. They all start in around 3pm yep your heard me 3pm. Once the chickens start going in my ducks follow then my geese are last into their houses but everyone is snuggled in by 4:15 pm everyday Actually this is the earliest they have ever gone to bed but I just let them do their thing and have the feeling they know more than me and are satisfied with the routine since they made it. They get let out around 6:45 am each morning. No food or water inside and they do fine.

I would never let mine stay out after dark, I have a game camera set up to see what all climbs over the fence after dark. they wouldn't last the week.

I give my girls a whole cabbage every couple of days. Every morning they get a steamed potato for breakfast. On cold night they also get a steamed potato.

I also got a pound of red wiggler compost worms and turned them out into their bedding a few weekends ago. The worms are happily working the soil and the girls eat the ones they find.

When you give the girls a whole cabbage, do you cut it up or do they work at it to keep them busy ? I might try this, my girls are pretty picky eaters.
Anyone ever use white corn meal (ground) as a supplement for winter carb? I just started feeding my girls an 18% poultry pellet feed. I figure the extra 2% protein will make up for the lack of bugs they forage this upcoming season.

When you give the girls a whole cabbage, do you cut it up or do they work at it to keep them busy ? I might try this, my girls are pretty picky eaters.
Anyone ever use white corn meal (ground) as a supplement for winter carb? I just started feeding my girls an 18% poultry pellet feed. I figure the extra 2% protein will make up for the lack of bugs they forage this upcoming season.
I just give dried whole corn as an afternoon treat on winter days for heat over night I haven't ever used corn meal. Dried male worms is another way to offer extra protein over winter. I mix whole corn-dried meal worms and 3/4 cup of dog kibble together and offer as an afternoon treat,
they all love it.
I have always hung whole cabbages out for my flock they have the best time eating on it I also buy those 8 packs of romaine at Sams and give them whole they love those too.

If I chop up the cabbage my four girls will eat a whole one before the end of the day.

I just recently started giving it to them whole. The first day i walked into their pen with it in my hands and showed it to them. Then i tore off one little piece for each and let them see where i tore it from. Then they just started ripping pieces off & stealing pieces out of each others bills. It was a cabbage massacre.

They waste very little this way. I usually only find pieces of the tough ribs. Once the head gets to be smaller than my hand i toss it into their pond so they can bob for cabbage ( and my snails can snack on it).

Purple cabbage usually lasts 3 to 4 days. Green cabbage 2 to 3 days.

I buy whatever is on sale. Purple cabbage has a slightly different nutrient profile-- more antioxidants and vitamin c, etc.

Don't be alarmed by weird colored poop after purple cabbage. It ranges from almost smurf blue to purple-black.

Last edited:
If I chop up the cabbage my four girls will eat a whole one before the end of the day.

I just recently started giving it to them whole. The first day i walked into their pen with it in my hands and showed it to them. Then i tore off one little piece for each and let them see where i tore it from. Then they just started ripping pieces off & stealing pieces out of each others bills. It was a cabbage massacre.

They waste very little this way. I usually only find pieces of the tough ribs. Once the head gets to be smaller than my hand i toss it into their pond so they can bob for cabbage ( and my snails can snack on it).

Purple cabbage usually lasts 3 to 4 days. Green cabbage 2 to 3 days.

I buy whatever is on sale. Purple cabbage has a slightly different nutrient profile-- more antioxidants and vitamin c, etc.

Don't be alarmed by weird colored poop after purple cabbage. It ranges from almost smurf blue to purple-black.

Haha! Cabbage massacre and smurf blue poop. Nice descriptions!

I think I will give that a try. Thanks!

Winter is coming to WI tomorrow.... 3-5", 4-6", 5-7" no one "really" knows how much, but it will be s-n-o-w and windy!
Getting pen finished today. Love my DH for taking time during work day to get it done.

The white corn meal I have I got from the grocery store. Quaker Oats brand, ground corn meal. I thought I would sprinkle on food like I do calcium, brewer's yeast. I will look into cracked corn and kitty food also. I have never had an outdoor winter pet like this. New to me all the way around.

Got 4 beautiful eggs today after their cozy two days in a limited access quarters. They sure are forgiving (or I am underestimating the hardiness of ducks).

Back
Top Bottom