winter prep?

ascott99

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Hey all! I'm knew to raising chickens. So what should I do to start preparing for the cold? By the way I live in southeastern connecticut. Is there something extra I have to do to make sure they are warm enough? Right now the inside of their coop is filled with nice dry straw.

Last edited:
I cover all coop windows at roost level and leave top windows open for ventilation. I lean plywood up around the run for windblocks. I make sure my girls go to roost at night with a full crop.

Oh ok! While on the topic of coops...why aren't my four month old chickens sleeping on the perch in their coop? They just lie on the floor of the coop!

16 weeks is still young to be roosting. They will start roosting at night when they are ready. They are warmer when the puppy pile on the ground in nice deep dry straw than up on the roost.

Mine were roosting at night around 8 weeks....playing on roosts from about 1-2 weeks.
I provided 1x1, 2x2 and 2x4(wide side up) roosts in the brooder, swapping out size and height as they grew, so they learned them early.

2x4(wide side up) are good for cold climates, keeps their feet warm and are stable/comfortable.

Make sure they have access to unfrozen water, either by changing it twice daily or investing is a heater to keep it from freezing. Make sure your coop is well ventilated...this will allow moist air to escape and go a long way toward preventing frostbite. I leave the pop door open and have a roof vent as well. And I throw down a few handfuls of scratch before the coldest nights... Chickens don't mind the cold, they just don't like the damp!

Back
Top Bottom