Winter Rabbit Breeding Question!

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
Hi bunny people!

I've posted a lot on here about rabbit breeding - and now I am looking for some help. My doe (great mother to numerous past litters) is in a new hutch set up and on her 24th gestation day. My issue is that in this new hutch area the "bedroom" indoor portion is so large that I can't have an alternate nesting box outside of it. She has a big run on the bottom floor. The top floor is wrapped with plastic wrap.

My question is: if it is snowing or really chilly will she go into the bedroom/nest area with the babies or will she force herself to stay away from the bedroom and chill herself?

I know that does avoid the nest so as to not attract predators. I have never had this issue before because I've been able to set up alternate comfort zone areas.

Thanks!

@EverythingDucks @igorsMistress @Silkie Princess

IMG_9088 (1).jpeg
IMG_9090.jpeg
IMG_9086.jpeg

I don't do colonies or hutches. I keep them in large cages above ground. My experience is limited in this way.
But, in my experience, no matter how cold it is, a doe will not stay in the nest. She needs hay, or even a wooden or cardboard nest box to snuggle into.

If it were me I would add loads more hay to the nesting area and I would give a few more bunches here and there for insulation.
Rabbits generate their own heat so if they have full bellies and they aren't transferring heat to their environment they should be fine.

My issue is that in this new hutch area the "bedroom" indoor portion is so large that I can't have an alternate nesting box outside of it.
Maybe you could put a nestbox where the food dish is (on those boards), and move the food dish over next to the water dish. Or even move the food & water into the bottom section, if the rabbit always has access to the bottom section.

The top floor is wrapped with plastic wrap.

My question is: if it is snowing or really chilly will she go into the bedroom/nest area with the babies or will she force herself to stay away from the bedroom and chill herself?

So you wrapped plastic over the hardware cloth we see in the photos of the top part?
If she has a roof, and sits on those wood boards, and has plastic wrap to block wind from the sides, she will probably be fine even without sitting in the "bedroom."

I have seen does that put their litter in the back corner, and sit just inside the entrance of the "bedroom" area. I think my does were around 10 pounds each, the "bedroom" area was 2 feet long, and I think it was 12 inches wide (might have been 18 inches wide, but I don't think so. I no longer have those cages, so I cannot just go measure.) I think only some does would do that, and some other does would not, so I cannot be sure what yours will do.

I don't do colonies or hutches. I keep them in large cages above ground. My experience is limited in this way.
But, in my experience, no matter how cold it is, a doe will not stay in the nest. She needs hay, or even a wooden or cardboard nest box to snuggle into.

If it were me I would add loads more hay to the nesting area and I would give a few more bunches here and there for insulation.
Rabbits generate their own heat so if they have full bellies and they aren't transferring heat to their environment they should be fine.
Thank you! I added hay in other areas for warm spots, but she keeps adding it to her nest. I will set up a small box outside of the nest. Thanks!

Thank you! I added hay in other areas for warm spots, but she keeps adding it to her nest. I will set up a small box outside of the nest. Thanks!
Sounds perfect! Please let us know when the little ones come, I love seeing fresh pink little babies 😍

Maybe you could put a nestbox where the food dish is (on those boards), and move the food dish over next to the water dish. Or even move the food & water into the bottom section, if the rabbit always has access to the bottom section.

So you wrapped plastic over the hardware cloth we see in the photos of the top part?
If she has a roof, and sits on those wood boards, and has plastic wrap to block wind from the sides, she will probably be fine even without sitting in the "bedroom."

I have seen does that put their litter in the back corner, and sit just inside the entrance of the "bedroom" area. I think my does were around 10 pounds each, the "bedroom" area was 2 feet long, and I think it was 12 inches wide (might have been 18 inches wide, but I don't think so. I no longer have those cages, so I cannot just go measure.) I think only some does would do that, and some other does would not, so I cannot be sure what yours will do.
I put a wooden platform outside of the bedroom. She won’t leave the hay there. It is all wrapped in plastic. Maybe I don’t need a box? They’re Holland lops. I hope she stays in the bedroom in the front end. Maybe she will?

She’s a wonderful mom. Always feeds a billon times a day and right in front of me. Even when they’re 6-7 weeks old. 90C6A0C4-A3D5-49AC-AB1F-D0989B9BCC0B.jpeg
27A37BE2-030F-444B-B498-44E5DD3066EC.jpeg

I put a wooden platform outside of the bedroom. She won’t leave the hay there. It is all wrapped in plastic. Maybe I don’t need a box?

She needs one place to have babies-- either that bedroom, or a different nestbox. So you could try putting a nestbox on that wooden platform, or you could let her have babies in the bedroom.

She probably does not need another box to keep warm.

They’re Holland lops. I hope she stays in the bedroom in the front end. Maybe she will?

She might, or she might not. You will only know when you see what she does.

Since Holland Lops are so small, that does mean the bedroom is "bigger" compared to her than if she were a big rabbit. So maybe she will feel like it is big enough for bunnies and her both.

One of my hutches has an xl external nest box, when a smaller doe was using it, she portioned off the nest into the back and stayed in the front entrance. It will mostly depend on your doe, an experienced momma should figure out what works best for her.

Back
Top Bottom