Winter Rain

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I am sorry this is a fundamental question I should probably already know.

Suppose you have covered and uncovered run space for your chickens and the ability to close the space to keep them in covered space only. It’s raining and 35-40 degrees. Do you keep the space open so that the chickens can go where they want (covered or uncovered), or do you shut the gate and keep them in the covered space?

My concern is not for "normal" situations; it is because we have this condition now, but in a few days; we will see record low temperatures for our area and I didn't know if the chickens getting wet would amplify the stress and vulnerability to get sick.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Suppose you have covered and uncovered run space for your chickens and the ability to close the space to keep them in covered space only. It’s raining and 35-40 degrees. Do you keep the space open so that the chickens can go where they want (covered or uncovered), or do you shut the gate and keep them in the covered space?
Rain brings out bugs and worms they love searching for.. Even with SIlkies in the PNW I let them make the choice!

ETA: My suggestion is for mature birds. Chicks or juveniles not with broody hens may get other consideration.

Last edited:
Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens.

If they have the option to be in or out, wet or dry, they won't get any wetter than they want to be.

With the possible exception of very small bantams and birds with non-standard feathers such as silkies and frizzles, chickens are tough, resilient, adaptable livestock and quite capable of dealing with weather and/or seeking shelter from it according to their needs.

I am sorry this is a fundamental question I should probably already know.

My concern is not for "normal" situations; it is because we have this condition now, but in a few days; we will see record low temperatures for our area and I didn't know if the chickens getting wet would amplify the stress and vulnerability to get sick.

Thank you.
Honestly, im not sure how to answer. On one hand, you should let them choose, but on the other, they can be a bit confused sometimes. Example: Its pouring rain, they don’t run into the warm coop with food and water, nor the covered safe run, they run under the wooden stairs, where theres a puddle of dirt they are sitting in. Or they run under the basement window overhang that requires them to balance as if they were on a tight rope.
But, either way, its their fault if they don’t want proper coverage.

Still, you could let them make the choice and see how it goes, they might not use it though given an option, because mine associate it with “bed time”

Honestly, im not sure how to answer. On one hand, you should let them choose, but on the other, they can be a bit confused sometimes. Example: Its pouring rain, they don’t run into the warm coop with food and water, nor the covered safe run, they run under the wooden stairs, where theres a puddle of dirt they are sitting in. Or they run under the basement window overhang that requires them to balance as if they were on a tight rope.
But, either way, its their fault if they don’t want proper coverage.

Still, you could let them make the choice and see how it goes, they might not use it though given an option, because mine associate it with “bed time”
I know right? They are so intuitive about some things, and others so clueless.

Back
Top Bottom