Winter water...

Have any of you used the metal heating plates to keep 5 gallon buckets unfrozen? I want to take a 5 gallon lowes bucket and put some nipple on it but need a way to keep it from freezing and came across heating plates that you just set the bucket on. My only concern is the plastic melting in some way or the heat releasing chemicals into the water and hurting the chickens. Most of the pictures I see of them there are metal waterers being used.

The waterer will be DIY bucket with nipples.
When you search for them, put in HEATER PLATE FOR PLASTIC BUCKET when you read the description it will list if it can be used on plastic.
Also, i read on here a couple days ago where someone bought a plastic heater plate for their plastic bucket at tractor supply. Look on their site online and see what you can find. If you just search for it online you will get multiple places to be able to compare prices as well as comments from those that purchased the product as well. Also look at the rating stars.
Hope this gives you enough options to find what you need! Best of luck!

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 7
You have to make sure it is rated for use in plastic. I use this one.
No it is a plate to sit bucket on. This device goes into water inside bucket.
I am NOT recommending this product!! Have not used it and know only what it lists in description. Only giving you this as imformation purposes only!! Read in the description of this product and it specifically reads "" CAN BE USED WITH PLASTIC BUCKETS ; WILL NOT MELT PLASTIC "" *again* i am not recommending you purchase this product!! I am old and retired so do not work for any supply companies (just in case this site needs to know i am not selling anything) but you can read this and you will see how it shows plastic is ok so you will know what to look for when looking for a heater plate.
Also, if you cant use a warmer on plastic it will say that when you read the description. Be sure to click on MORE when looking at the short description. Really hope this helps. And the other smarter chicken folks will surely give you better pointers! Have a GREAT day!

No it is a plate to sit bucket on. This device goes into water inside bucket.
I am NOT recommending this product!! Have not used it and know only what it lists in description. Only giving you this as imformation purposes only!! Read in the description of this product and it specifically reads "" CAN BE USED WITH PLASTIC BUCKETS ; WILL NOT MELT PLASTIC "" *again* i am not recommending you purchase this product!! I am old and retired so do not work for any supply companies (just in case this site needs to know i am not selling anything) but you can read this and you will see how it shows plastic is ok so you will know what to look for when looking for a heater plate.
Also, if you cant use a warmer on plastic it will say that when you read the description. Be sure to click on MORE when looking at the short description. Really hope this helps. And the other smarter chicken folks will surely give you better pointers! Have a GREAT day!
Oops. Forgot link... duh!
........ link below-->
Check this out on Amazon
MYGIIKAKA Poultry Water Heater Chicken Water Heater for Winter Warmer Base, 85W 110V Chicken Coop Accessories Water Heater for 5 Gallons Buckets/Dishes https://a.co/d/4DgZOZe

Works with plastic?

Have any of you used the metal heating plates to keep 5 gallon buckets unfrozen? I want to take a 5 gallon lowes bucket and put some nipple on it but need a way to keep it from freezing and came across heating plates that you just set the bucket on. My only concern is the plastic melting in some way or the heat releasing chemicals into the water and hurting the chickens. Most of the pictures I see of them there are metal waterers being used.

The waterer will be DIY bucket with nipples.

See my post above yours. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with horizontal nipples. I bought a plastic heating "plate" from tractor supply. The only time so far that it's failed to keep the water thawed (but not warm!) is yesterday when we'd had 24 hours of -20-30 wind-chill. We had to empty and fill with warm water but it kept it thawed in 0-15 degree weather once the wind died down.

See my post above yours. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with horizontal nipples. I bought a plastic heating "plate" from tractor supply. The only time so far that it's failed to keep the water thawed (but not warm!) is yesterday when we'd had 24 hours of -20-30 wind-chill. We had to empty and fill with warm water but it kept it thawed in 0-15 degree weather once the wind died down.
I don't deal with wind chill as I keep my run covered on 3 sides with clear vinyl. I don't want the birds to have to deal with wind when they are eating or drinking. In MW Montana it can get very cold. This year it went down to -35 one night and the minus teens for a daytime high. Years of reading advice here in the forums as well as personal experience made it so that my chickens had thawed water this entire cold spell. Even I was impressed that my waterer did so well. I did have 2 out or 3 nipples freeze that morning after -35 but some jiggling broke the ice and had them all working again.

Today it will be over 40 degrees. What a difference a few days make.

I don't deal with wind chill as I keep my run covered on 3 sides with clear vinyl. I don't want the birds to have to deal with wind when they are eating or drinking. In MW Montana it can get very cold. This year it went down to -35 one night and the minus teens for a daytime high. Years of reading advice here in the forums as well as personal experience made it so that my chickens had thawed water this entire cold spell. Even I was impressed that my waterer did so well. I did have 2 out or 3 nipples freeze that morning after -35 but some jiggling broke the ice and had them all working again.

Today it will be over 40 degrees. What a difference a few days make.

Yeah that is definitely not normal weather here and we were totally unprepared for it (on Western Christmas/Christmas Eve, no less!) My 3 girls with single combs definitely lost some tips to frostbite, but they were otherwise unscathed. We're going to get some ply wood and rig up something to put around the exposed sides of the run should it ever get cold like that again. The wind was so strong it ripped the tarp off the run, so I don't think plastic would have held up. again, it's a very rare occurrence here and I was pretty impressed by how well they handled it.

Yeah that is definitely not normal weather here and we were totally unprepared for it (on Western Christmas/Christmas Eve, no less!) My 3 girls with single combs definitely lost some tips to frostbite, but they were otherwise unscathed. We're going to get some ply wood and rig up something to put around the exposed sides of the run should it ever get cold like that again. The wind was so strong it ripped the tarp off the run, so I don't think plastic would have held up. again, it's a very rare occurrence here and I was pretty impressed by how well they handled it.
The weather has been a bit wild this year. Some of my birds got a touch of frostbite also. That must have been some really strong winds you had. I'm lucky as my coop is protected from most wind. Between the house and the hills, most wind is completely blocked except from a bit of the SW.

I had to smile when I saw you write "Western Christmas". Not many will have any idea what you meant. I grew up in Pittsburgh and have always celebrated 2 Christmases.

Back
Top Bottom