Winter water...

I don't use heaters, I use black rubber bowls you should be able to get at your feed store. I have a frost-free hydrant so water is pretty close by. If I set those black plastic bowls in sunlight they keep the water thawed well down in the teens Fahrenheit. That might cover a lot of your winter days in SW PA.

The sun does not shine at night and some winter days can be cloudy and really cold. When the water does freeze I pound the rubber bowl against the ground to break the ice out, and refill. It's not a perfect solution but it works for me.
Haven’t had my first winter yet but I think I’m planning on the black bowls too. What size do you use?

Haven’t had my first winter yet but I think I’m planning on the black bowls too. What size do you use?
I don't know how much they hold. The ones that look like they are the right size for the number of chickens you have. :oops:

I actually have three different water bowls and they are different sizes. Even in winter I often have different aged chickens so I'm practically always integrating. Separate scattered water bowls (and feed stations) help with that.

I live in SW Pennsylvania, it can get pretty cold here. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with cup drinkers. What can I do during the winter to keep it from freezing? Would changing it out, or adding a gallon of hot water every day keep it from freezing or should I get a heater. My coop is pretty far from the house and any source of electricity.

If my only option is a heater, are there any that will work with a plastic bucket and what is the safest kind of cord I can get? All suggestions are welcome.
My cheapest and simple solution was buying those blue heated dog bowls with thermostat from TSC. The only downside was I wish it held more volume so I bought two at $20 each. They're now $29.99 Gotta love this Bidenflation!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/farm-innovators-round-heated-pet-bowl-6-qt?cm_vc=-10005

I live in SW Pennsylvania, it can get pretty cold here. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with cup drinkers. What can I do during the winter to keep it from freezing? Would changing it out, or adding a gallon of hot water every day keep it from freezing or should I get a heater. My coop is pretty far from the house and any source of electricity.

If my only option is a heater, are there any that will work with a plastic bucket and what is the safest kind of cord I can get? All suggestions are welcome.

Hi I use a heated dog bowl . I put some water in the bottom then fill a plastic coffee can with water and then put it inside the bowl. I also read the following online. If you have a large gravity waterer you take a single serve pop bottle clean and remove label. Put a 1/4 cup of table salt in and fill with water recap and shake to dissolve salt drop it in water container. It is supposed to keep water from freezing by causing slow moving water towards the bottle. I am curious and will be definitely trying this. It also says that the water in the bottom tray will get a thin layer of ice but the chickens will be able to get through it to drink. I don't think it would work with cups or nipples but I guess you could try it. I live in Beaver County.

I went with insulation rather than a heater. Vacuum is the most efficient insulation so I found 3-quart ice buckets for chilling wine. It works well down into the teens and single digits as long as the water is changed every 12 hours or so. It keeps the water cool in the summer, too.

If I had more chickens and more space, I would try a composting manure system.

How many chickens do you have?
I would love to see a picture of your ice buckets. Do the chickens just drink out of the top?

Back
Top Bottom