"Winterizing" Coop.

I currently have welded wire mesh for my windows, which are great for ventilation in the coop in the summer, but I am looking for ways to winterize.

We are in Cental Louisiana, so it doesn't get too cold, but I want them to be comfortable.

It's far from perfect, I barely knew how to use a drill when I started. It took me 2 1/2 month, including the run. And I still have some touch ups, but Harvey ruined my plans. Ideally I'd like to add sides to the "lean-to" to protect their food from the rain.
Don't do heat lamps they start fires. Get a cozy coop it's a panel that puts off her when they are next to it and it's not a fire hazard

I'm changing my first recommendation a bit. Can you add awnings or something over the windows on the sides facing prevailing winds? All you really need is to keep the rain out; the birds will be fine if they are out of driving cold rain and wind. Mary

This is my first winter with my chickens. I have an Amish made coop built for 8. I have nice covered run. I have 4. Bantam Cochin roo, LF polish.. and the ones I'm very worried about a one year old serama hen and a 2 year old Japanese bantam hen. The coop is very well ventilated, very well made, insulated roof. 2 windows that close. I live in Maryland, so the winters are mostly mild. But we have days when the temp is like 7 degrees. I've been reading up on seramas and Japanese bantys and it seems that anything below 60 they don't care for. Although right now it is 42 and they are happy. Do I need to bring my tiny ones in? And if so, will the other 2 be able to keep warm enough?

Back
Top Bottom