Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote: Vicki...I could kiss you! (but I am so not that type of girl... dirty minds) I have been searching for info like this, but everything says, day 19 you lockdown. that is it. Tjey really coul start piping now? Ours are due the weekend also. When we last candled, there were some that looked further along than others or just bigger. How can you tell an internal pip?
thank you for your experience... Our first hatch had less than 50% last year so this is my second chance. So far, we have had only about 1/5 that were blanks or early quitters when we candled and there are only two left in there that I had put question marks on. Hoping we get an awesome hatch.
thanks

There is a place by us that do poultry..I think they are $2 a bird and I thought that was horrible. They are not inspected. Just a bunch of chicken farmers helping out other chicken people who no longer butcher. It is not a bad place, and a better set up than my kitchen. I take my ducks in when I have so many to butcher out for clients. I think ducks are $4. I hate butchering out ducks. I have several clients that take 6-10 ducks a year.

Dust Bath Day!

Danny Boy and the girls found a high and dry spot near the garage for a dust bath. All 7 were enjoying themselves at one time - wouldn't you know it, though, 2 got up just as I approached with the camera!

There is a place by us that do poultry..I think they are $2 a bird and I thought that was horrible. They are not inspected. Just a bunch of chicken farmers helping out other chicken people who no longer butcher. It is not a bad place, and a better set up than my kitchen. I take my ducks in when I have so many to butcher out for clients. I think ducks are $4. I hate butchering out ducks. I have several clients that take 6-10 ducks a year.

My neighbor (another chicken guy) says there is one nearby who does it for $2.75 - shrink wrapped and ready for freezing.

Quote: Vicki...I could kiss you! (but I am so not that type of girl... dirty minds) I have been searching for info like this, but everything says, day 19 you lockdown. that is it. Tjey really coul start piping now? Ours are due the weekend also. When we last candled, there were some that looked further along than others or just bigger. How can you tell an internal pip?
thank you for your experience... Our first hatch had less than 50% last year so this is my second chance. So far, we have had only about 1/5 that were blanks or early quitters when we candled and there are only two left in there that I had put question marks on. Hoping we get an awesome hatch.
thanks
you can check several ways. If you tap on the egg they will peep. I use a flash light. You can see the beak in the air pocket on the end. It takes them 100's of pecks to get that air cell pierced. it is hard hard work.
images

Yes, if they are due this weekend, they could start internally pipping today. The first external pip can be 24 hours after that. That first external pip usually is piped 12 hours before any other pip it seems sometimes. They call and other chicks start to work at pipping. Before you know it, you have an incubator full of pips. I do some talking and peeping back during that time and it seems they talk back and work harder. It can take 24 hours from pip to zip. I usually try to keep busy after first pip or I am bator sitting.

Delish, hubby is the same :)
Irish, never fails to have a couple camera shy ;-)
Since I have never hatched, im goingto ask a stupid ? Can't you just help the little buggers out once they start pips? If not, why?

Back
Top Bottom