Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Thanks guys. Given JJ's comment on the place of origin and the reference from Unkadan's old Hortonville farmer, I may try rock salt rather than barn lime. But my instinct is to apply this after harvest.

Ahhh almost at my bus stop, reading all your post makes this ride go fast. Well have a good evening all
frow.gif

I would try 10' of the old row this spring, the salt will have a better chance of working on the new growth weeds,,,,that's my instinct.

I am planting 250 plants this spring, main pick was a Jersey Hybrid supposedly all male plants, I also included 50 of the Purple Passion just for variety. I prepped the area last fall, turned in lots of composted manure, I'll do the trench planting as JJ suggested and mulch heavily late summer. Drip irrigation will be in place IF the summer is dry.

danhopingwehaveasummer

Fajita, Marsala, Cordon Bleu, Coq a Vin, Buffalo Wing, Nugget, General Tso, Enchilada, Piccata, Bourbon, Chimichanga, 20 clove, Lemon Pepper, Lemon, Stuffing, Parmesan, Cacciatore, Paella, Tetrazzini, Gumbo, Beer can, BBQ, Sweet and Sour, Divan, Fried Rice, Shish Kabob, Empanada, Pastie.....
Showoff!
tongue.png
Not too sure about "Pastie", though, especially given an earlier conversation we had about them.............
gig.gif

I love the names Noodle & Dumpling, Vic. Too cute! How about Omelet? Souffle? Chowder? Rotini? Actually, Bl's Nugget is an awfully cute one.

Do polish chicks get picked on more by the others ?

I have 22 chicks and 2 poults in a very large box brooder. I moved them to this huge box cause I thought they were getting to crowded in the other brooder. Well over the weekend while we were outside cleaning my oldest DD hollered for me cause the other chicks were attacking one of our golden laced polish chicks. Alot of the wing feathers were pulled out so it was pretty bloody. I got it cleaned up, put it in its own cage , and put neosprin on it. The chick is doing just fine besides looking beat up. Well today the other golden laced polish got picked on. It has a nice soar on its back. I cleaned it, put the neosporin on it and its in with the other polish chick.

I have never had this happen before. I was looking on line and I read that polish chicks are not good for a mixed flokc. Is this true ??
Oh and I checked and none of the other chicks have an issues. Are turkey poults mean ? I do have the two poults in with the chicks, should I take the poults out ? I was told I could brood the poults with the chicks while in the house. But they are the only thing different that I'm doing this year besides never having polish chicks before.
My sis got a Polish roo as her free "exotic" chick when she ordered from McMurrey. The other chicks all picked on him and still do, pulling all his head feathers out. So he hangs out with her turkey & peacock.
hu.gif

When I got my chicks, I was sooo excited....ok still am.. but I had these visions of them all loving to be pet and running to me to be picked up..............i think they all hate me
sad.png
they all run to the farthest corner hoping on each other trying to get away.......
roll.png
I thought that since I got them from little, I could be their momma............guess chicks don't imprint like foals ...........sigh...... I think there might be a couple that seem to like people.
Don't feel so bad. The chicks cs got from me seem to be wild indians too.
hide.gif
Last year I had a batch of hooligans and then a batch of real calm chicks. The hooligans calmed down around 3-4 weeks old, if I remember right.

Hi everyone! So it is getting to be that time when my broody hens will be hatching their eggs (hopefully). Hatch day for them is Sunday. So- what do I need to look for? Will they get off the nest to eat and drink these last days? Do I need to put food inside for them to reach during these last days before hatching? Do I need to change all the bedding? Looking for all advice since this is my first time with broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom