Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Today my chickens are happy!
I let them out to run around the yard/field.
Eddie is no longer with them. He went to a new home yesterday. He is in a group home with chickens/hens& roosters, turkeys, geese, and ducks. with lots of room to roam.
I'm thinking of fencing off a large area, including a small wooded area this spring, so I'd be interested in comments on fencing, cost and functionality.
Electric or not?
Also trying a new feed made at a mill just east of Baraboo. Milled there.
I've got F&F crumbles in the hen house and this new feed in the run. So far the new feed is being eaten mostly.
I use electric on sweet corn about 4 to 6 inch off ground, more times than any I see the chickens walk right under it. Rarely I see them get zapped, but does on occasion happen.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php this may help you with some cost. dunno if it works.

One nieghbor down road has fairly high chain link fence, some chickens fly over it and get out, Different nieghbor has failrly high fence with chicken wire and some of his fly out also. Not all fly out.

Good question.
I have a neighbor up the road with 2 chicken barns, 2K in each barn.
I stopped to talk with him one day and asked if I could see the inside of the barn, and because I have a small backyard setup he said that he couldn't let me even if I suited up.
Very strict rules apply, so--I don't know!
I'd have to say that migrating birds getting into the barns is not how this happens.
I have been overseas and when I come back I do not go to anyones place which has animals, cattle etc for 2 weeks.
My guess somehow air going in is not filtered enough or someone is carrying it in. I do not know if the air need to be filitered going in, but some of the diseases are really catagious.

I use electric on sweet corn about 4 to 6 inch off ground, more times than any I see the chickens walk right under it. Rarely I see them get zapped, but does on occasion happen.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php this may help you with some cost. dunno if it works.

One nieghbor down road has fairly high chain link fence, some chickens fly over it and get out, Different nieghbor has failrly high fence with chicken wire and some of his fly out also. Not all fly out.

I have been overseas and when I come back I do not go to anyones place which has animals, cattle etc for 2 weeks.
My guess somehow air going in is not filtered enough or someone is carrying it in. I do not know if the air need to be filitered going in, but some of the diseases are really catagious.
That's the same link I see posted now and then from folks recommending them to others having predator issues. Here's one testimonial to it by @themotleycoopchic

That's the same link I see posted now and then from folks recommending them to others having predator issues. Here's one testimonial to it by @themotleycoopchic
I saw awhile back someone had some type electric fencing and the predator went under it. guessing the bottom of the fence is not hot so does not ground out. ??

Okat it says keep contacts from touching ground, so there is a alot of fence there,must take a pretty electric fencer because of amount of reistance in the fence. Leave in grass grass grow into it. More for keeping intruders out than keeping chickens in, unless chickens dont fly or cover over fenced in area.

I saw awhile back someone had some type electric fencing and the predator went under it. guessing the bottom of the fence is not hot so does not ground out. ??

Okat it says keep contacts from touching ground, so there is a alot of fence there,must take a pretty electric fencer because of amount of reistance in the fence. Leave in grass grass grow into it. More for keeping intruders out than keeping chickens in, unless chickens dont fly or cover over fenced in area.
We had a smaller solar electric fence for around the bees that we had to weed whack underneath or grass would short it out.

Otherwise I suppose a person could get a goat, donkey, horse, or cow. They'd keep it clean. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom