Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

here is the red Tom who now lives is Hayward with his 2 girlfriends.. he never developed his tail .. kind of sparse and spindly ..

Sandi,, this is the peacock pen.. the green house is similar in structure as far as the walls go,

there are no birds in here now.. this is where I want to rototill with the small tiller and plant cukes, lettuce and maybe a few other things..

you can enlarge the picture by clicking on it..
then you can see the nest quanset hutches.. I cut a 55 gal. steel barrel lengthwise and attached boards around the bottom edge.. the birds preferred the taller one on the left.. to collect eggs, just raise the front up and let it stand on it's back..

.....jimwishingAnniewouldcallsohecouldgogetacupportwo.......

Last edited:
Morning! I need coffee......

Heather I hope your birds are improving this morning and you have no more losses.....

Welcome Erin!!!!

Lmiller congrats! An accomplishment to be proud of!!!

Frenchie, you are so sweet with those dogs...... I would love to have you meet our rattie mix..... he is quite the stinker!

Off to Strawberry Fest in Waupaca this morning. I like to get there early to beat the crowds........ of course that means I have to motivate......

Enjoy the day everyone!

good morning folks,

nice light rain still falling, we needed it and for once I timed my cultivating perfectly yesterday morning should have burned up most of the "white root" weeds

Judge a couple of things, you should be able to sex those pea comb birds, look closely the pullets have one row of bumps, the cockerels will have 3. As to what makes an ee I think any blue egg layer crossed with any brown egg layer, end result will be birds that lay blue, green, pink eggs, they won't reproduce true. Some ee's are excellent layers.

Terri you asked awhile back about the feather legged gene,,yes it's dominant,,,,don't remember your 2nd question

don't name many chicks here, but named a partridge olive egger Bob yesterday,,,,after finding it drowned in the duck pool

welcome to the new folks, congrats Lisa to you and the son, and to you Amy for deleting some more 'coons

JJ spent a few years working with those folks at Shriners, great setup and ppl,,,,good luck

bbl
danofftodomorningchores

eta: Heather, good luck,, that's gotta suck, I've learned a lesson from your bad experience, I have skipped the quarantine in the past,,,will never do it again. When things get sorted out maybe I can help you refresh some stock

Last edited:
Morning! I need coffee......

Heather I hope your birds are improving this morning and you have no more losses.....

Welcome Erin!!!!

Lmiller congrats! An accomplishment to be proud of!!!

Frenchie, you are so sweet with those dogs...... I would love to have you meet our rattie mix..... he is quite the stinker!

Off to Strawberry Fest in Waupaca this morning. I like to get there early to beat the crowds........ of course that means I have to motivate......

Enjoy the day everyone!

If you're at the Strawberry Fest stop in to see me! I'm near the Red Mill on the corner of Crystal Rd and Danielson Rd!!

I woke up with a start early this morning thinking someone broke into the house. And with me alone for the weekend! Thankfully it was just the rain hitting the skylights. Good timing - the rain will be good for my newly planted veggies. More to plant today and tomorrow. It's been slow going with all those rocks!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend with no sick chicks!!

JJ.... I've actually been missing your smart @ss comments. But if you've been slipping, losing your "sh!t" in the humor dept, I understand. It happens to some. We're all here for you buddy. Stay strong! :p

One dead chickie this morning. Improvement. That's 9 total I think. More good news, my chocolate pullet seem perkier. Same with my BLRW. So that makes me happy. However, I can only find one chocolate orp roo. That makes me very nervous CC.

Somehow I have 2 broodies through all this. I guess I'll see if they're serious about it. If so, may be I can get some Hershey eggs? Stella eggs if she's letting Moose near her yet??? Dare I say Lav Orps? May be they'd hatch if I had NOTHING to do with it! :lol:

Work day again. I hope it's dead so I can watch the move I rented. It's the last night or I threw away $4.99. Awesome perk of working until midnight, finish all your work, then you have free time to fill anyway you want. As long as you answer the phone when it rings, it's all good!

And TerriO... Deli DOES have colored Scovies. Beautiful colored scovies. Chocolate, lavender, etc..... And she has ducklings coming out her ears....! :D

Enough enabling for now...laters!

Unk... I would absolutely hate for you to lose any of your birds you've worked hard to get by skipping quarantine. I haven't worked hard to get birds, nor been doing a breeding project for years. If I had, I would be devastated. It's sad as it is. We'll see how this shakes out. I may end up needing blue layers. NEXT year!

Last edited:
Fresh Fish Fry Friday To All... and people actually go out to eat....Sorry you guys couldn't be here to enjoy this feast we had tonight...it was super delish....it was fun to get the outside fish cooker going again...OMG the fresh fish was perfection.(I won't mention the cole slaw and dark rye bread)

In regards to the orchard trees...yep...really nice trees...I bought the semi-dwarf trees. They end up being prolly 5 to 5.5 feet tall after being planted...I bought delicious and Cortland...they have a really good choice of trees, and varietys. gotta love my spelling.

The buckeyes are growing fast now...it won't be long now til they are outside.

I always keep my waterers fresh and my feeders clean...the coop is never nasty and I can go in them bare foot, and I do....the eggs are collected without a need for washing, because of the clean bedding...I like my method of management..I also have a closed flock for good reason...just sayin

The deep litter method seems to end up the deep sh!t method...and the problems start. Don't forget the litter part if it's your method of laziness. just sayin. The deep litter method works, if you don't forget the litter part.

I've seen links posted here claiming that a lousy environment is healthy for the flock....how's it working for you? The birds deserve nothing but clean feed and fresh water...ok...I'm done!

bigz
Hope your trees grow good for you. We have semi-dwarf trees, looks like we only lost 1 plum tree over winter. We have 1 peach, 1 pear, 3 cherry, 1 plum and 3 apple remaining and some of them are developing fruit. Will have to get out the netting for the cherry trees so that the birds can't get to them.

had to chuckle about going through your coop barefoot..... we try to keep ours clean but I still won't go through without shoes... my DS(8) on the other hand would probably do so
lau.gif

DH made pancakes for breakfast....yummy

Today we will be sending the extras to camp crock pot.... DD has made her selections on who gets to remain for now

have to get my smaller bator up and going today so that it is ready for hatching out Welsummer eggs this week
fl.gif

Enjoy the day, looks like the sun is starting to shine
cool.png

Good morning good morning! We were up at 3:30....some drunk was driving crazy on the road and DH thought he heard impact so we went outside to check it out. Coudnt see anything but then the guy came back up the road spinning tires and weaving shoulder to shoulder. Shoulda called the sheriff--DD woke up too; she said out of a dream that something hit her car that was parked at the end of the driveway. Cripes!

Glad to hear there maybe improvement on the sick chick situation! I hated going outside when I had something running through one of my coops! That was adult birds too. Never did find out exactly what it was...just ran it's course I guess.

Welcome Erin! You will learn much here...and we can "help!" Frenchie's advice about adding older layers is very sound. You might want to let yours grow up first...also about that sex-linked gene...did the seller tell you that they were both girls? You might have a surprise on your hands there. Love the ducklings!

Nice to hear from you again JJ! Thought you swore off of us...
Where has Zeke gone BTW? I have to send him a message...I think I have sold all of the turkey poults to a guy from Fond du Lac. He is coming this afternoon for them. Then I will give my neighbor some of the $$. Maybe I can get back on his good side for refusing first crop hay for $4.50/bale! I noticed he had it sitting out by his driveway for sale too...

OK--the sun is kinda shining, I best get out and see if I can get the chores done. As expected my hands are sore from doing all that weeding yesterday...I will live!
Have a fantastic day! TerriO

Good morning good morning! We were up at 3:30....some drunk was driving crazy on the road and DH thought he heard impact so we went outside to check it out. Coudnt see anything but then the guy came back up the road spinning tires and weaving shoulder to shoulder. Shoulda called the sheriff--DD woke up too; she said out of a dream that something hit her car that was parked at the end of the driveway. Cripes!

Glad to hear there maybe improvement on the sick chick situation! I hated going outside when I had something running through one of my coops! That was adult birds too. Never did find out exactly what it was...just ran it's course I guess.

Welcome Erin! You will learn much here...and we can "help!" Frenchie's advice about adding older layers is very sound. You might want to let yours grow up first...also about that sex-linked gene...did the seller tell you that they were both girls? You might have a surprise on your hands there. Love the ducklings!

Nice to hear from you again JJ! Thought you swore off of us...
Where has Zeke gone BTW? I have to send him a message...I think I have sold all of the turkey poults to a guy from Fond du Lac. He is coming this afternoon for them. Then I will give my neighbor some of the $$. Maybe I can get back on his good side for refusing first crop hay for $4.50/bale! I noticed he had it sitting out by his driveway for sale too...

OK--the sun is kinda shining, I best get out and see if I can get the chores done. As expected my hands are sore from doing all that weeding yesterday...I will live!
Have a fantastic day! TerriO
Zeke said he was letting his internet go for the summer.. IDK if he is gone already, though..

still raining here.. not real hard,, but too hard to stand out there and run electric power tools..

Welcome Erin I'm a SAHM too! I found some one on EBAY selling CCL from Ocontomowac is that someone on here or does anyone know who it is? I would really like to skip the PO with my next batch of eggs! I'm only on day 9 and down to 4/10 between broken eggs, clears, and blood rings! Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom