Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

That's what the rancher was eating - the results of his labors of making steer's ...

Urgh!
sickbyc.gif
We just throw 'em out. Well, I do. My guy leaves them lying in the stalls. Talk about insult to injury; first have 'em cut off then be made to sleep with them! Poor guys...

Five out of ten Choc Cuckoo Orp eggs made it to lockdown today! Praying they all make it to hatch. So excited!!! Will post picks soon.
jumpy.gif

That's what the rancher was eating - the results of his labors of making steer's ...

Urgh! :sick    We just throw 'em out.  Well, I do.  My guy leaves them lying in the stalls.  Talk about insult to injury; first have 'em cut off then be made to sleep with them!  Poor guys...

Five out of ten Choc Cuckoo Orp eggs made it to lockdown today!  Praying they all make it to hatch.  So excited!!!  Will post picks soon.  :jumpy

Cool..good luck

Hi All!

RockN.... I would think leaving them in the stall would attract all kinds of vermin. Better to dump them if no one wants them.

Hoping the hatches go well.

Nothing new here. Night All!

Last edited:
Good Morning too! It's nice to wake up and know you lived to see another day.

Nothing much new here. I'll need to clean the wood boiler chimney today. Some years I can go all winter without any problems, and other years it needs a cleaning about this time of year. I burned a lot of black cherry and butternut this winter along with the good stuff like maple, ash, oak, and hickory....but it still managed to cause another cleaning.

bigz

I've been holding this in for a week now but can't anymore. The reason I was asking about Carol Anderson Tracy on here is a friend of mine went down to get some chickens from her that were posted on a FB site needing a home and Saturday I was working with Heartland Farm Sanctuary near Madison to recover the seized birds from the cockfighting ring that was busted so couldn't make the trip but my friend did. I got a call that they were in bad shape and while noticing one in really poor shape my friend got scared and only took the birds that had been loaded up and left. Sunday I went up to my friends to access the situation. She had kept the birds in her vehicle overnight as she didn't have a quarantine area for them. We started with the first pen which consisted of a trio of Iowa Blues. First bird inspected was completely covered in lice/mites/leg mites severely. The IB rooster was the worst. The lice were so bad they were eating away at his skin around his vent that their was a serious infection going on and smelt like pure death rotting away. I am appalled by the condition of these birds, most of them have infections around the vent area from the lice infestation. The Splash Maran roo has a most severe case of leg mites that his feet are infected. Some of you know Carol, I personally didn't deal with her my friend did. I can't believe anyone would let their birds get in such poor condition and wait so long to find a home for them. All of the issues didn't just come about which shows they were poorly cared for. I have all the birds here now in quarantine and they are being treated for mites/lice/scaley leg mites/severe skin infections/thrush/worms. I really don't care who likes what I have to say but she may of gotten some of her birds from some of you on this board and people need to know that they didn't get the proper care they needed. Also some of you may have gotten birds from her during her rehoming them and need to know they have serious issues and need to be quarantined. First glance you would only see the mites and alot of vent glee. Take this however you wish, kick me out but people need to know. There is absolutely no excuse for these birds to have had to suffer like this.

This is the vent of the IB roo a few hours after treatment. You can see the infected areas around the vent. He's doing much better now after a week of being cared for as are the rest of the birds but it's going to take some time to get them all back in complete health.

Tough to see and hear the bad management practices that seem to go on more often than we like to hear or see it....nobody is going to kick you out...it is...what it is. The only thing to do is rescue what you want and cull if they are backyard chickens that can be replaced with young healthy chicks.

It is hard to believe that this can happen so often...do your best, and that's all that can be expected.

Proper flock management doesn't matter to some folks...that's the worst part of it all.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom