Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Windy, Chilly One here today. Breakfast for the boys went well today. Brought home some leftover buttered toast for the hens. They are gonna love me for that.

Nothing new here. I should get the remaining eggs I need to set today. I'm going to see how many clears I end up with out of 24 eggs. I hope he has been a busy body.

bigz

..:welcome .and to cheeseheads..

I too started out with just 7 pullets,, "just for eggs for us"  
watch out !!  or you could end up like me..  8 years later,  3 coops,  enough incubator capacity to hatch 1500 eggs at a time..  a surplus of just shy of 100 guineas running around the property..
need I go on ?

.........jiminwisc........

I just going back through my posts and had to laugh out loud. I picked up a dozen chicks two weeks ago and purchased an incubator two days ago. I am glad I'm not the only one who can't help themselves! : ]

Edited to add that I also picked up a free ice shack a week ago to turn into another coop!

Last edited:
The weirdest thing happened. I had a batch on the 9th. And when I went to put in for the Easter hatch there was a chick in there! I know it was not an off date egg. I set each tray for a date. And the other two are never touched at lockdown. I will be checking every egg from now on before I pitch them. I typically leaventhem in 3mdays after they are done hatching.

BugZ, what the heck were you up to today? High speed chase out of C-vile today?????

I thought a pic of us both cleaned up was in order.

Back to bed..... I hate the flu.

Happy Saint Patties to all..... funny that I got away, eh! I had my racing hat on, and then there is no catching me! What a handsome devil that is..who's the lady? I didn't know Ross got himself a girlfriend....
love.gif
Lucky Leprechaun.... Hope you both are feeling better soon!

Just set my 24 eggs....not perfect for equal size, but it's a lucky day for the Irish to set eggs!

bigz

Well I'm trapped in the corner of my bedroom !
Eye yeye yeye !

We'll on top of having g a terrible head cold and sore throat I'm royally Pi$$ed off and sad.
I set 42 eggs for the Easter Hatch along and long story short (cause I know how you all long my lengthy posts)
Because I didn't trust my Hovabators I went and bought I a Farm Innovators Pro Series Bator at Fleet Farm on Sat. It was running 1 degree low so I raised it to 100.5. Put two digital thermometers in it plus the cheap bulb one that it came with.
All was good sunday.
Went back to Fleet Farm yesterday and bought another Bator because I have more eggs coming next week.
Well had to watch Dancing last night so just glanced at the bator. Read 100.5...good right.
Well I also took a picture of the other thermometers because it is easier to enlarge the picture and read then to open bator....yes some of us wear bifocals....lol

Got up this morning. Made coffee. Went into spare bedroom where Bator is. Looked at reading...100.5. Peered in at the others.....108 and 109.
Eyes wide open......no need for coffee ! What!!
Open the Bator and the thermometers said they highs had gone up to 120 and 127 !
And the L Cheapo bulb thermometer was 105 or ????
Hopped back to the bedroom (yes I was still disassembled) and looked at the pictures that I took last night that I never looked at! Same thing !
High High High while the temp on the Bator read 100.5 !

Wouldn't be so bad but they were shipped eggs ! And Lavenders.

So I took the top of the newest Bator I just bought and switched it and set it at 99.5.
So anyway I decided the Bator is best put next to my bed where I can babysit it.
So I started cleaning the corner of the bedroom throwing it all on the bed so I could set a table there. Well there is an empty spot for the table but managed to trap myself in. Wow can't believe I had that much stuff so packed in....now I'm to tired and to sick to finish the job :(
Should just say Fudge it...throw all the cap back I the corner and go back to bed...as it stands now I can't move ! .......so much for a short story eh???? Wonder what the temp is now?

Last edited:
I just going back through my posts and had to laugh out loud. I picked up a dozen chicks two weeks ago and purchased an incubator two days ago. I am glad I'm not the only one who can't help themselves! : ]

Edited to add that I also picked up a free ice shack a week ago to turn into another coop!
Most of this batch is done hatching. Silkies, Cochin Bantams, Seramas and d'uccles.

Back
Top Bottom