Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hello!

My name is Magen and I live in New Berlin, SE Wisconsin. My husband and I are currently looking into starting a small flock of buff orpington, as I've read that they are very good with small children (we have an 11 year old, 10 year old, and 8 year old) and docile.

I don't have any yet, but will be visiting our local feed store tomorrow to check out availability and cost. I know it's a lot to ship live animals, so I don't want to go the route of a hatchery yet.

Any advice on a good coop for around $300 for 4-5 hens would be appreciated, along with any other advice you have for a beginner!

Nice to meet everyone!

Hello!

My name is Magen and I live in New Berlin, SE Wisconsin. My husband and I are currently looking into starting a small flock of buff orpington, as I've read that they are very good with small children (we have an 11 year old, 10 year old, and 8 year old) and docile.

I don't have any yet, but will be visiting our local feed store tomorrow to check out availability and cost. I know it's a lot to ship live animals, so I don't want to go the route of a hatchery yet.

Any advice on a good coop for around $300 for 4-5 hens would be appreciated, along with any other advice you have for a beginner!

Nice to meet everyone!

WELCOME!
welcome-byc.gif
You will find a lot of very savvy and helpful people here! All the best to you and your new flock!

Afternoon all...yep welcome to the thread imagen, and I think being prepared for everything is more important than starting before you are ready. It will be a ton of fun if you are totally ready first and then just have fun with the peeps. Don't hurry the peeps til you are ready...it will be so much more fun!

Gonna hunt another week..just seems right for now.

the bash is closing in fast now...bigz

Hi everyone! I posted in the bash thread also
We should be at the bash, I better request off lol
lots going on here to keep me super busy. Enjoying days off from my actual job. Lol
Guess that's all, not much else to say. Talk at the bash.

Again, sorry for all the losses. Welcome imagen!
Haven't been creeping on here for a week. The eggs I had in the bator hatched. 18 out of 21 that went into lockdown. I didn't think that was too bad for the first time. Now I have eight shipped eggs that were roughed up in there. I am hoping half will hatch. Picked up my 25 meaties on the 5th. It was a busy week. I have been putting off mowing as long as possible. I think Wednesday is going to be the day. Asparagus is about 3 inches high. Tomorrow I am looking at making something from my rhubarb. I love country living!

Last edited:
Our yard has totally gotten away from us this year. I didn't see any asparagus where it usually comes up, and our rhubarb is large and untouched.
Dandelions are threatening to take over.
I've got dandelions everywhere also. Last year I made dandelion jelly. I was thinking about trying that again.

Back
Top Bottom