Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi All!

Jim...The video adds show up for me, but stay small. Either your inadvertently running the mouse over them (which may make them expand) or it's your settings.

FT... Glad you got your rails!

Nothing new.... Night All!

Jim, I have ads pop up on screen but I can "x" out of them. They do make the screen jump around, tho. Are chickens smart enough to come in out of the cold?

Hello all,

My name is Megan and I just moved to the West Bend area from Germantown. My husband and I were looking for more space so we have now moved from a half acre to ten!

We just got our first batch of chicks from West Bend Elevator, who orders their chicks from Abendroth Hatchery (has anyone had any experience with Abendroth- good or bad? I can't find much online). We ordered what will hopefully turn out to be 14 hens and a rooster. My husband and I are currently turning a box stall in our pole barn into a coop for our flock of 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Black Australorps, and 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have found the roo in the Australorps, but two of my Easter Eggers are still without tail feathers (all the others except the SLW have tails). I'm hoping I don't have more roosters; I know it would be hard to send any of them to freezer camp. All of them are starting to use their wings; I know it won't be long before they outgrow their kiddie pool brooder and need to be shipped out to the barn.

In addition to the chickens, we have also planted a vineyard and tilled/planted our vegetable garden. It has been a lot of work but we are thankful to have land to be able to utilize. We will see how it goes.

I have already learned so much from just reading BYC and look forward to getting to know you all!

Hello all,

My name is Megan and I just moved to the West Bend area from Germantown. My husband and I were looking for more space so we have now moved from a half acre to ten!

We just got our first batch of chicks from West Bend Elevator, who orders their chicks from Abendroth Hatchery (has anyone had any experience with Abendroth- good or bad? I can't find much online). We ordered what will hopefully turn out to be 14 hens and a rooster. My husband and I are currently turning a box stall in our pole barn into a coop for our flock of 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Black Australorps, and 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have found the roo in the Australorps, but two of my Easter Eggers are still without tail feathers (all the others except the SLW have tails). I'm hoping I don't have more roosters; I know it would be hard to send any of them to freezer camp. All of them are starting to use their wings; I know it won't be long before they outgrow their kiddie pool brooder and need to be shipped out to the barn.

In addition to the chickens, we have also planted a vineyard and tilled/planted our vegetable garden. It has been a lot of work but we are thankful to have land to be able to utilize. We will see how it goes.

I have already learned so much from just reading BYC and look forward to getting to know you all!
Welcome, Megan. I/m from Clintonville, quite a ways from you, but welcome anyway.

Welcome!
Our chicks are about 6 weeks old now. We know 5 of the 14 are pullets...2 are question marks... so better hatch but not much better odds. lol. Now to either make a chicken tractor and make the boys meaties... Rberry offered me hers but it is huge and not sure we have a good place for it (Still discussing!) or sell them. We may keep one wyandotte roo but want to make sure not to challenge my little OE rooster. We absolutly love him and are trying to find him some more girls.
I have two broodies right now...really want zero but if we find the OE chicks will put them under one hen and try to break the other. darn broodies. couldnt do this 6 weeks ago when we had the chicks handy...

otherwise we are working on selling moms furniture and stuff and find her a few new things that will fit in a smaller apartment. Selling a few of the antique things but not the majority...still working on it. next up is moving all the misc stuff up by me for my big rummage sale. hubby is going to hate to hear it, but might do one in June and one in July because I doubt it will all just go. Looking forward to getting my life back on the weekends. Have alot of gardening to work on this weekend so told he I am not coming this weekend. I need a weekend for me and my fam!

Glad we have all these newbies here! love hearing all the chatter. Jim I need some puppy pics of all that cuteness!

Hello all,

Welcome Megan! We have only gotten meat chicks from Abendroth and have had very good luck with them. We have two-week old Freedom Rangers from them right now that are growing fast. We have moved them into chickens tractors, and they withstood the cold temps last night very well. We made the nest box part of the tractor into a "cave" for them. We also had this type of meat chick from Abendroth two years ago and were very happy with their grow out. We are on almost nine acres.

Hello all,

My name is Megan and I just moved to the West Bend area from Germantown.  My husband and I were looking for more space so we have now moved from a half acre to ten!

We just got our first batch of chicks from West Bend Elevator, who orders their chicks from Abendroth Hatchery (has anyone had any experience with Abendroth- good or bad?  I can't find much online).  We ordered what will hopefully turn out to be 14 hens and a rooster.  My husband and I are currently turning a box stall in our pole barn into a coop for our flock of 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Black Australorps, and 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes.  I have found the roo in the Australorps, but two of my Easter Eggers are still without tail feathers (all the others except the SLW have tails).  I'm hoping I don't have more roosters; I know it would be hard to send any of them to freezer camp.  All of them are starting to use their wings; I know it won't be long before they outgrow their kiddie pool brooder and need to be shipped out to the barn.

In addition to the chickens, we have also planted a vineyard and tilled/planted our vegetable garden.  It has been a lot of work but we are thankful to have land to be able to utilize.  We will see how it goes.

Hello!

Currently lurking from Indiana, but considering making a move for DHs job. We were up there this past weekend, it's a beautiful area!

Hello all,

Welcome to the Cheesehead thread Megan! Hope you like it here.
Hello!

Currently lurking from Indiana, but considering making a move for DHs job. We were up there this past weekend, it's a beautiful area!
Welcome to Cheesehead country! Around what area might you move to?

Firstchic, not all chickens are that smart.

7 out of 7 eggs hatched yesterday. Whoo-hoo! 4 blacks & 3 blues.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom