Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Well, it was not Gus then, but, it was one of your dogs, cause I recognized him/her.....our minds are funny things. Or, at least mine is.

Hope everybody had a lovely holiday weekend! Thanks to all the veterans and those who gave their lives for our great country!

We were very busy. Had a baby shower on Sunday for my sister-in-law who is due in July with baby #1. Don't know gender so it's very exciting. My dad marched in the Memorial Day parade near us, so we went to see him in that. (He is a Navy veteran - Vietnam) Then went to the program they hold at the cemetery after the parade. Very touching speaker was the local Army National Guard commanding officer - he got choked up, and I had tears flowing. I always cry at Memorial Day. Have a soft spot for veterans, I suppose.

DH got the garden 1/2 planted - put in seeds that we had ordered from Jungs. Our sweet peas are up. Also ate our first spinach and lettuce out of the garden. He got a head start by planting lettuce & spinach plants. Yum. It was so good. The spinach is so young and tender. Now to get the rest of the groundhogs. DH went after one this morning with his .22 rifle, but didn't hit it.
he.gif
Getting very frustrating with those danged groundhogs.

DD had another chick hatch last week - what she lovingly calls a "barnyard special". Some sort of mix between New Hampshire and goodness knows what. Cute thing, but I think we'll end up putting it in a soup pot this fall.

I guess that's it from here. Hope you are all doing well. Looking forward to seeing pics from the bash this weekend. I joined in too late this year. Maybe we'll make it next year. Or at least DD and I. We will see.

Angela

Hope everybody had a lovely holiday weekend! Thanks to all the veterans and those who gave their lives for our great country!

We were very busy. Had a baby shower on Sunday for my sister-in-law who is due in July with baby #1. Don't know gender so it's very exciting. My dad marched in the Memorial Day parade near us, so we went to see him in that. (He is a Navy veteran - Vietnam) Then went to the program they hold at the cemetery after the parade. Very touching speaker was the local Army National Guard commanding officer - he got choked up, and I had tears flowing. I always cry at Memorial Day. Have a soft spot for veterans, I suppose.

DH got the garden 1/2 planted - put in seeds that we had ordered from Jungs. Our sweet peas are up. Also ate our first spinach and lettuce out of the garden. He got a head start by planting lettuce & spinach plants. Yum. It was so good. The spinach is so young and tender. Now to get the rest of the groundhogs. DH went after one this morning with his .22 rifle, but didn't hit it.
he.gif
Getting very frustrating with those danged groundhogs.

DD had another chick hatch last week - what she lovingly calls a "barnyard special". Some sort of mix between New Hampshire and goodness knows what. Cute thing, but I think we'll end up putting it in a soup pot this fall.

I guess that's it from here. Hope you are all doing well. Looking forward to seeing pics from the bash this weekend. I joined in too late this year. Maybe we'll make it next year. Or at least DD and I. We will see.

Angela
Hey, I am only coming for the potluck on Sat...could someone tell me the time?

Need my experts thoughts... Are pine needles bad for chickens.? So a friend has a 4x4 dog run they are loaning me to grow out these Roos. There are 6 or so of them although we may or may not keep one. The best place I have to put this where it will be sheltered from summer sun and heat is next to our shed and under some higher cut pines. You think this is ok... Figure they have 7-8 weeks left of growing time...

Wet afternoon all...yep should be fine there Kris...I use dry pine needles in the coop at times.

The potluck should be around noon...sometimes if food isn't ready yet, it gets closer to 0ne, but figure noon with the white elephant and raffle to follow the potluck...usually the raffle first...if we have a good white elephant going, it can take awhile to finish...
th.gif

bigz

Need my experts thoughts... Are pine needles bad for chickens.? So a friend has a 4x4 dog run they are loaning me to grow out these Roos. There are 6 or so of them although we may or may not keep one. The best place I have to put this where it will be sheltered from summer sun and heat is next to our shed and under some higher cut pines. You think this is ok... Figure they have 7-8 weeks left of growing time...
my free rangers lay under our pines to avoid the mid day heat with no problems. I am surprised that they dont lay any eggs under there

Last edited:
Strange newbie question here. Is it common for hatchery stock chicks to be more high strung then local breeders chicks, or is it strictly breed dependent? I just got some from a local breeder and the difference in hand ability is unreal...

Quote: Yes, I sold Gus..
Just after we were sure that Frankie was bred..
Frankie's pups were born on May 17..
their eyes should be opening in a couple of days from now.

Frankie had 9 pups. two of them died, so we have 4 girls and 3 boys left.. and they just about double in size every day .. welll , not quite .. but they are growing nicely..

I didn't feel like working on the mowers in the rain.. so I got nothing accomplished at all today..

..........jiminwisc........

Back
Top Bottom