Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good morning,
it just started to sprinkle here,, we are supposedly going to get a lot of rain before it is all over.

I do hang the heater on the wall of my brooder pen. I do not use totes or swimming pools..
If I did use a tote or swimming pool, I would maybe set the heater on something at the edge of the container and blow the warm air into it..

that rough edged egg is nothing to worry about.. there are some eggs with rough shells all over..
they must be pure heII to lay for the hen, but no chicken ever died from it..

the egg is formed in the chicken, and then starts it's journey down the tube.. the shell material is secreted from the walls of the tube and it hardens as it moves along..

Sclark,, that list ought to hold him for awhile,
lau.gif

........jiminwisc.........
Very happy my chicken hoarding give you quite a giggle Jim! ;-) I have a serious problem I know. Now with the swap ban statewide, not sure I will be keeping all the breeds that I have as I mostly sell my chicks at swaps.

I didn't realize that we had a swap ban going on in Wisconsin. Maybe that was what DH was talking about the other day - he was saying something about selling chickens and that the price of eggs is probably going to go up.

What I think is odd: swaps are banned, but fairs are ok. Yet both have very similar if not the same testing requirements for the poultry to attend. Am I missing something? And one could argue that foot traffic at fairs is going to be substantially greater than a swap, increasing risks.

Was wondering if you had all heard the news about banning shows & swaps outside of fairs, and of course you're all on top of it! Guess that means the Wisconsin International Show in Portage in September is a no go...? My two oldest are studying for the Avian Quiz Bowl that is normally held at the Wis Int'l, but who knows what will happen now or if they will hold the Quiz Bowl somewhere else.

As far as the 10 days thing... we lost a turkey right before our county fair last year (think it had a heart attack - it was a big production BBwhite), but that had nothing to do with any other bird, no illness, etc. We can't plan for stuff like that, and as you guys point out, a predator attack or accident/injury. Seems arbitrary to me.

We normally bring our birds for the fair to one location for blood testing a few weeks before the fair, but maybe we can't do that now. We'll be waiting for word from the 4-H Poultry Project county leaders on that I suppose.

Angela

A waiver stating none have died within ten days by slaughter, predator or accident?

That seems a little extreme to me. If you are a meat bird small farm/household and have kids showing in a fair, you're expected to stop slaughtering and protect your flock from predators for ten days before? I know ten days isn't a lot but you can't exactly decide when a predator will attack.
I know I'm not suppose to say this......but, I just have to. Government Control.

Wow, the chicks grow fast. I thought a couple were more than day-olds when I got them on Tuesday.
Look at the feathers on this baby.

I think the three with the wing feathers already are my Brown pullets. Thinking I should mark them somehow to see if I am right when they are all grown up.

Here is a response to an email I had sent yesterday to the state in regards to the ban and other questions as to why they put it on.

Aaaarrrrgggghhh! The government tends to screw most things up - AND adds more costs and red tape to boot. I'm willing to bet this is just the beginning of the hoops we'll have to jump through. They don't often let go once they get a toe hold.

Back
Top Bottom