Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Almost Noon To Everyone.... good to hear from you CS.... also glad all is good by you, except the lazy hens.

Suzie is making a big kettle of ham and pea soup....she will also be making beer bread just before we eat....it's as simple as it gets to make..I'll share the recipe again for those that would like to try it. Start to finish is less than a hour! Very little kneading needed.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 1/2 tsps. salt 12 ounces beer

1 egg beaten ( for wash)

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375. Mix flour , sugar ,baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add beer (no sips!) and stir with a fork until just combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead quickly to form a ball.Place bread on a baking sheet and confidently slit an X on top with a serrated or very sharp knife. Brush loaf with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Yield 12 servings.....also makes wonderful toast with leftovers.

bigz

Great! I didn't know what to do this afternoon while watching my 4 year old. So now we have a loaf in the oven,and another waiting to go in. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

wyoDreamer & Jim- here is the recipe for the ciabatta.**This recipe make 2 big ciabatta bread-we make one bread and a pizza with the other.

You will need a spray bottle of water!

Mix the following with a spoon first, then with the dough hook for 6 minutes: 2 1/3 cool water, 2 cups white starter (the white starter is something I've made over 15 days-but it is essentially 1 c flour and 1 c water), 1 tsp yeast, and 8 3/4 c flour

Let is sit in mixing bowl 20 minutes

Add 1 T sea salt and mix 2 more minutes

***In a separate bowl mix together: 3 T cold milk, 3 T EVOO, and 1/3 c cool water

SLOWLY add the liquid to the dough. Mix of low until all is incorporated, then mix on high for 4 minutes

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let ferment at room temp for 2.5 hrs. or until it doubles in volume.

Sprinkle the counter with plenty of flour and pour out the dough to form a rounded oval. Sprinkle flour over the top of the dough and cover with a towel, and allow it to rest 20 minutes.

Cut 2 pieces of parchment ~ 12x16 inches, sprinkle each with a liberal amount of flour (semolina and bread flour are suggested). Set them out next to each other.

Uncover the dough, sprinkle with a bit more flour. In a continuous motion, cut the dough in half (2 equal pieces). Without pausing, carefully scoop up one piece and place it onto one of the pieces of the parchment. Form it into an oval about 8x10 inches and 1 1/2 inches thick. Repeat for the second portion.

Using index finger, dimple each portion by pushing your finger through dough to the parchment spacing every 2 inches. Lightly sprinkle with flour and cover each with a towel. Allow it to proof for 2 hrs.

***Half way through the rising time, turn your oven on to 500 degrees!

When the 2 hrs has gone by, uncover your dough and cut 2 additional pieces of parchment the same size as the previous (12x16). Place each on top of the proofed dough portions. Grab the opposite corners of dough portion #1 and carefully flip the dough over and onto your cookie sheet. Carefully remove the top sheet, loosening the dough that may be sticking to it, and dimple the dough again. Repeat with dough portion #2.

Open the oven door, spritz the oven heavily with water from the spray bottle and quickly close the door. Keeping the parchment under the dough and on the cookie sheet, slide the first cookie sheet into the oven and quickly close the door. Repeat for portion #2 including the spritzing!!!!

Reduce the oven temp to 450. Spritz the oven 2 more times over the next 5 minutes. Refrain from opening the oven for the following 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, slide the parchment out from under each portion and discard the paper. Rotate and return each portion to the oven. Continue baking for 5 more minutes.

After 5 minutes, remove each loaf and invert it onto its top, return to oven for 5-8 more minutes.

Remove the loaves to a cooling rack. When the loaves have cooled, dust off excess flour. Store in a paper bag, not plastic!
Oh boy,I'm not that talented! Maybe someday I'll tackle this type of bread. :) BTW,what's EVOO?

Oh my gosh drake...2 loaves ? That's a lot of bread...
ep.gif
but glad you are givin it a try! Don't forget a slab of butter on it... LOL!

bigz

Oh my gosh drake...2 loaves ? That's a lot of bread...
ep.gif
but glad you are givin it a try! Don't forget a slab of butter on it... LOL!

bigz
Yes,2 loaves. My wife and I have 7 kids,so food goes fast here.
1st loaf turned out great. My 16 yo,his friend,my 4 yo and I have it 3/4 gone already! I softened a stick of butter as it was cooking to slather on top. 16 yo and friend are replacing his fuel pressure regulator on his old Chevy PU,so they came in the house cold and hungry anyway.
Thanks for the recipe.

SWEET...gotta love beer bread....Makes me smile big time that hungry folks love it! I have tried different brews...that's fun too! What beer did you use? It's all goodie for sure....
wee.gif

bigz

SWEET...gotta love beer bread....Makes me smile big time that hungry folks love it! I have tried different brews...that's fun too! What beer did you use? It's all goodie for sure....
wee.gif

bigz
HeHe....the beer I always drink went in it,hate to admit it to you people,but I drink Milwaukee's Best Ice. It's cheap,and it's got a kick.

Last edited:
wee.gif
Nothing wrong with that for sure....I'm glad it's worth the effort for ya....this bread always comes in handy for fresh bread with a meal...or just bread! I never tried the ice variety for bread, but of course, it works for drinkin beer results...it's why we enjoy the golden nectar...
wee.gif

bigz

Yep my birds always seem to want one last adventure at sunset, too.

Good news at the vet today. The stray cat I got stuck with a couple of weeks ago got a clean bill of health.

The other good news is, even though she's declawed, she seems to have taken care of my mouse problems.

Back
Top Bottom