Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Uh oh - went out to check on the birds a couple hours ago and found blood splatter in the coop. Sat and watched birds for a while and couldn't figure out which one it was. No visible bleeding. I'm worried that the other ladies will gang up and peck whomever it is, but they weren't pecking at each other in the time i was watching, just scratching around and acting like they usually do.

A couple questions for you experienced folks out there:

- If I can figure out which one it is, should I separate her even if I don't observe the others pecking? Or will that just stress her out more?

- Any normal reason there would be blood other than an injury? One chicken laid her first egg yesterday?

- Any other tips for helping everyone survive this?

Any advice very appreciated!

Brenton

I used to have a set of cast iron and after getting used to how they cook, I loved them. Would love to get a set again someday.
I got some cast iron for Christmas and love it, I might look at some carbon steel pans for things like scrambled eggs though, you season them similar to cast but they are smoother and not quite as heavy, and wont wear out like all the teflon/ceramic etc. stuff.

Uh oh - went out to check on the birds a couple hours ago and found blood splatter in the coop. Sat and watched birds for a while and couldn't figure out which one it was. No visible bleeding. I'm worried that the other ladies will gang up and peck whomever it is, but they weren't pecking at each other in the time i was watching, just scratching around and acting like they usually do.

- If I can figure out which one it is, should I separate her even if I don't observe the others pecking? Or will that just stress her out more?

- Any normal reason there would be blood other than an injury? One chicken laid her first egg yesterday?

Brenton
Anyone have any frost bite that might be healing up? A couple of mine had frozen comb tips, I bought a can of blueKote incase I needed it but only ever saw a few very small spatters and haven't needed to use the blue yet but I rather have it ahead of time.

Brenton
How much blood splatter? A lot, or just a few drops? If it wasn't much, it has probably already clotted & started to scab. In that case, it shouldn't be a problem. If there was a lot and the girls keep pecking at it, not giving it a chance to heal, then you will have a problem. I suggest you be vigilant in observing them each time you go out there, keeping an eye out for blood obviously, but also pale combs, hiding & a lack of the usual energetic activity. Chickens hide symptoms very effectively so close attention to all their body language is key to catching issues early before they become a problem.

I'm thinking it was probably due to a frostbit comb or wattle, which can bleed a lot for a tiny injury. But I would still keep an eye out for any "off" behavior just in case.

Unless they were bleeding profusely, I see no reason to isolate. As long as the bleeding has stopped, she should be fine. Just keep a close eye on it (if you can find it) and spray with Blukote to keep others from wanting to peck at it. HTH.

How much blood splatter? A lot, or just a few drops? If it wasn't much, it has probably already clotted & started to scab. In that case, it shouldn't be a problem. If there was a lot and the girls keep pecking at it, not giving it a chance to heal, then you will have a problem. I suggest you be vigilant in observing them each time you go out there, keeping an eye out for blood obviously, but also pale combs, hiding & a lack of the usual energetic activity. Chickens hide symptoms very effectively so close attention to all their body language is key to catching issues early before they become a problem.

I'm thinking it was probably due to a frostbit comb or wattle, which can bleed a lot for a tiny injury. But I would still keep an eye out for any "off" behavior just in case.

Unless they were bleeding profusely, I see no reason to isolate. As long as the bleeding has stopped, she should be fine. Just keep a close eye on it (if you can find it) and spray with Blukote to keep others from wanting to peck at it. HTH.
There was a good amount. Noticed first on a waterer and then on the wall in the coop.

I went and watched them several times during the day and couldn't pick out which one it was, either by behavior or watching for drops where there were walking, so hopefully whomever is was will heal up and back to normal. I'll keep watching them closely though.

Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated.

Quote: My first gut jerk was a bleeding wattle or comb, too..
that usually is over before you notice it.. and they bleed like heck from just a nick .. from blood on the waterer, I would surmise it was a comb ..

........jiminwisc.......

cast iron has to be tempered.. there is a way they recommend where you heat up the pan to a high temperature and bake the oil into the iron..

there is an easier way that I use.. only takes a few minutes ...

get the pan hot on a burner and with oil in the pan.
enough oil so that it coats the pan and you can push it around with a metal spatula.

when the oil is very hot, scrape the pan with the metal spatula, at first you will notice dry streaks.. keep scraping and gradually the dry streaks will disappear and you will see a nice oil surface.. do the whole bottom of the pan.

If someone (my wife) washes the pan and removes the protective oil surface, just repeat the above procedure..

you can cook an omelet if the pan is thusly prepared .

...........jiminwisc..........hth

Hi All!

I broke in a set of cast iron for each of my kids so they would have them when they went off on their own. My set, a couple of pans were my grandmothers, yea. well broke in! LOL If they need washing, I'll give them a light coat of oil when they are dry and throw them in the oven. I just let them set in there when a bake a couple of times and it works well for me. What ever works I guess. I have a carbon steel wok that finally is broke in well. Seems like it took forever because a wok stays cooler near the top so it's hard to "set the oil" and make a nice finish.

Night All!

Hi All!

I broke in a set of cast iron for each of my kids so they would have them when they went off on their own. My set, a couple of pans were my grandmothers, yea. well broke in! LOL If they need washing, I'll give them a light coat of oil when they are dry and throw them in the oven. I just let them set in there when a bake a couple of times and it works well for me. What ever works I guess. I have a carbon steel wok that finally is broke in well. Seems like it took forever because a wok stays cooler near the top so it's hard to "set the oil" and make a nice finish.

Night All!

I was watching "how it's made" on TV. they showed making iron pots and pans.. and they also temper them before they to to market.. that is a nice feature..

........jiminwisc....

Speaking of cast iron cookware...Last weekend I stopped at an antique mall and it seemed almost every booth had a cast iron pan with 'cups' in the bottom. I've seen these before and always thought they were biscuit pans but in looking at one closer I saw that the bottoms of the cups are round, not flat like a muffin or cupcake tin. Then I thought maybe they're for scones as I've never had one and didn't really know how they're made. After looking scones up online I don't think that's what these pans are for either. So anyone here know what they are? I'm guessing whatever is cooked in them would end up being almost round....maybe like a donut hole or oliebollen? But I think those are both fried??

Back
Top Bottom