Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

BBP...do you raise dutch and Lionhead or that is your recommendations? I personally love the look of the lionheads. They are super cute...just want to make sure they have the personality to go with it!

on a side note my easter hatch babies are getting big already...some combs already...grrr...I need to find some time for hubby and I to work on the garage brooder because they will soon be jumping.flying on out of the rubbermade bucket! Seems early but I also never had a dozen babies in the house either!
Thanks.

Left fleet farm with basic supplies and stopped by Town and Country to ask questions. Specialty birds came a day early and 18 text messages later, I am mama to 2 Buffs, 2 EE and one Barred Rock. Under the heating pad in a broody box 12x6x3 the temperature is 81... have not been able to get it any higher, but birds are very quiet and not all clumped together. Every once in a while, one will run out and peck at the food, and the BR actually drank for a little bit while I was watching. Kinda looks like the EE are sleeping?​

Last edited:

Left fleet farm with basic supplies and stopped by Town and Country to ask questions. Specialty birds came a day early and 18 text messages later, I am mama to 2 Buffs, 2 EE and one Barred Rock. Under the heating pad in a broody box 12x6x3 the temperature is 81... have not been able to get it any higher, but birds are very quiet and not all clumped together. Every once in a while, one will run out and peck at the food, and the BR actually drank for a little bit while I was watching. Kinda looks like the EE are sleeping?​

Yup, it won't be long now, a larger coop will be needed.

81F is OK, I run my brooders at about 80F all the time. even the one in the outside pen..

the chicks learn to eat and drink from each other. so as long as one or two are eating and drinking, the rest will catch on quickly ..

I made a batch of caramel last night, right now I have a batch of roll dough rising in the oven.. I have almost an hour to wait .

I could take a nap if I could trust myself to wake up in that amount of time..

we had about 1 1/2 inches of snow, It is all melted already.

had a good check up at the VA clinic this morning. my next appt is in October, so I guess I have at least 6 months for sure..

..........jiminwisc...........

Last edited:
Kristip, I don't breed rabbits but we sell them at the co-op. The lionheads have a great petsonality. The Dutch are probably my favorite though. Netherland dwarfs are cute, but sometimes the does can be really nasty. I've always had good luck with mini rex too.

Last edited:
good evening,

well, my first ever batch of caramel rolls turned out great.

I ate 3 of them for supper.

since my sister was so kind as to print the recipes for me, I am taking a pan of them to her house tomorrow morning .
Nothing like caramel rolls with a dab of butter on each bite chased with a good cuppa joe..

don't worry about me, I have a pill for it. .
lau.gif

I have a brinsea eco glow you can borrow if you want. Let me know!

Evening to everyone. Good job on the rolls Jim...I would eat mine just the way they are.....suzie would do the glob of butter with each bite. I eat my bread plain too...tastes just fine plain to me, and suzie can't understand how I can eat it that way...

The bator has been running spot on...gonna candle Monday after 10 days...I'm curious how many clear faces I'm gonna see....my 2 roo's really beat each other up the other day....now they are separated for awhile till they figure it's ok to get along again....silly birds can get along for weeks and then one steps wrong and wholly molly, neither will give in as the loser.

bigz

I have a brinsea eco glow you can borrow if you want. Let me know!
Thanks so much, I am not sure if I need it or not, lol. So yesterday I cut the end off of a dish drainer and flattened the plate rack with my hand. Put that in the box with the heating pad over the top and set on high. Added a towel back over the works, and this morning all 5 chicks were completely silent until I turned on the laundry room light. Ambient temperature in that room is about 63° and only 43° in the garage where I originally wanted to put them. Thinking they need a larger box, this one was kind of a "oh shoot, not ready" set up. Do you think if I cut the box so that the lid can go almost closed and keep the brooder on high that I will be pretty safe putting them out? Not in a hurry, but they were never meant to go inside when we started the whole discussion about getting them. Of course, didn't know that we would have new snow on the ground at this point either.

Another random question. How do I add a "signature"?

Jim, love caramel rolls with butter and coffee... how I have always eaten them. Good to enjoy life a little bit, sometimes think doctors go a bit far with the healthy eating shtick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom