Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hope you picked up the road kill for a feast in the future!

Suzie baked fresh bread and cinnamon rolls today...the rolls are disappearing as I speak!

Snow is all melted...
wee.gif

bigz

good afternoon,
just have a few minutes here,

I tore the feeder all apart and did a lot of tweaking.

I think I just about have it where I want it.

I will send pictures that I took a little later tonight.

the 6 guineas are all that are left of the 30 I started out with last spring..
got one egg today..

I put the feeder into the coop and poured 50 pounds of feed into it, I think it will hold about 100 pounds..
I must have calculated wrong someplace.
no problem, I plan on building another one within the next couple of weeks.. It will be a bit smaller than this one..

.........jiminwisc..........

here is the finished feeder, I still have to make a cover for the top.
the tray is 17" wide by 32" long and 3" deep.
the hopper is 17" tall, 12" wide on top and 13" wide on the bottom.. 30" long inside measurement.
the slot at the bottom of the side panels is 2" tall.

the troughs are about 2 1/2" wide..

I am going to try again, I had to log off and come back on,
my puter went into snail mode.

.this is the inside view before I put the side panels in place.

I have more pictures but it is loading like I had dial-up service..

I will log off and try again. later..

for those of you who are new, you can left click on the pictures to enlarge them..

.......jiminwisc.........

..this is the first time these chickens have seen this new laying ration.. they took to it like pros ..
note the head room they have,now..

pictures are taking too long to load up.. I will send more maybe tomorrow..

it is hard to see, but 50 pounds of feed makes the feeder only about 1/2 full.and here come the chickens..

My stupid stinkbirds (guinea fowl) are getting WAY too adventurous. My 5 acres of woods are no longer enough for them. Yesterday morning I was running through brambles in my pajamas to chase them back home from the neighbor's woods. Got home from work today to find them across the road frolicking in a cornfield.

I don't want to keep them locked up all the time, because I want them to eat ticks. But I want them to eat ticks from MY yard, not the neighbors'. Well, soon enough the raccoons and owls will eat the rest of them anyway . . .

Hi All!

Stacy... hope you all get better soon!

Jim.... Looks like a very big feeder! If you can keep the mice out it should hold a few days worth of feed!

This headache has been off and on for days! I really would like it to GO AWAY! Grrrr, might be weather related?

Nice turkey Brent.

Night All!

Great turkey Brent, hope you feel better Cindy, bummer on your turkey nchls, I filled my doe tag that way once....yippie for grandmas in the world and Jim.. your feeder is very nice. Did I miss anyone?
Let's talk winter.
How large is your water bucket, do you use a tank heater or a bottom heater, have you had water freeze, bottom nipple, side nipple, open water?
My coop will be a reach in, not walk in.
Do you insulate, heat, infrared, let it go?
Egg boxes inside or outside of main coop? Have you had eggs freeze ever?

good morning,

I was out to check on the feeder already this morning,

going to have to restrict the flow . I will have to decrease the slot from 2" to 1" for this type of layer formula. It is more like sand than ground feed. (an oily sand)
I think I will have to build a divider down the center of the inside of the feeder to help the feed sift to the sides. it seems to pile up in the center and doesn't work it's way to the sides..

otherwise it is working fine and the chickens are loving it.

Cind, the feed will not stay in the feeder for days,, I can go through 50 pounds of feed in two days, maybe less once the chickens get older. I don't worry about the little that the mice will eat. guineas eat mice if they catch one. the chickens eat mice , too, but they don't bother catching them unless it is right there, and they are hungry ..

I use the 5 gallon waterer in the winter. I also made a couple of base heaters that work well in most cold but not in extreme cold like -20F.

many times I just give them a pan of water and they drink right away, then it freezes .. I dump the ice and repeat the process once a day .

........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom