Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I'm so glad I found you guys! I've been waiting to talk to people from Wisconsin because then you know what the weather is REALLY like! I am getting two new chicks to put with my first flock of 6, two month old hens. Since I am on my first flock, I do not know how to bring the chicks into my flock! And since it's almost winter, I really need some advice from people that know what the weather's like. Any ideas/opinions/suggestions from a fellow cheesehead?
:celebrate

I had the best luck with keeping the new chicks in a kennel inside the coop for a while then I made a cardboard "door" for the kennel that only the new chicks could fit into so they could hide. They chose when they no longer needed the kennel and then I removed it.

I had the best luck with keeping the new chicks in a kennel inside the coop for a while then I made a cardboard "door" for the kennel that only the new chicks could fit into so they could hide. They chose when they no longer needed the kennel and then I removed it.
Thanks, I'm getting the chicks this Thursday so I'll have to make it quick! Luckily I have nothing going on that day and I'll keep them in the brooding box for a week or two before moving them in (with a heat lamp and everything) with the adults, is this a good plan? I'm getting hardy breeds (obviously because of the weather!)

They are ‘considering’ it.

Whatever; we have another showing tomorrow morning.

The only wonderful neighbors left are the people who live behind the house. People on the left are new last December and the crochety old lady to the right never spoke to us ( just put up the privacy fence).

I like the new place, I can see the stars.

good wintery type morning,
no snow here , yet. not that it is not cold enough, through.

I did some research on window trim.
I kind of came up with a style I like.
Annie already bought a bundle of casing, but I don't want to use it.

I have all winter to fiddle with it.

I think I will make it out of oak instead of pine, .
the oak is more knot free so I don't have to try to select good pine boards
and besides, some of that pine has lots of pitch on it.

..........jiminwisc.....

Back
Top Bottom