Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

bummer,,,being sick on a snow day ,,
our fuel pump went kaput on the buick yesterday. we made it home, but just barely.
I started the p u truck up. Haven't started it since November. Annie said I should put the charger on it. I said, MY truck won't fail me.
and it didn't.. but I did spend a long time chipping ice off of it..

Hello fellow Wisconsin chicken people. I'm new here!

:welcome:highfive::frow
Hi new here, glad to see ya,,
where in the world do you live ?
a close city will do.
we have people scattered all over this state.
you might be close to someone..
are you an outlaw with too many chickens in the city limits ? or are you rural ?

I am very rural.. I can have as many birds as I want.. even the noisy ones..

......jiminwisc.....:old

Hey everyone! I just joined BYCs and I'm from the Madison area! Or if you really want to get picky Windsor/DeForest! And I would like to know what type of bedding works best for you? Because right now we are using straw, but we have used wood shavings as well but now we are thinking about using sand so we are able to pick up the droppings better.

Hey everyone! I just joined BYCs and I'm from the Madison area! Or if you really want to get picky Windsor/DeForest! And I would like to know what type of bedding works best for you? Because right now we are using straw, but we have used wood shavings as well but now we are thinking about using sand so we are able to pick up the droppings better.

:welcome and to CheeseHeads.

I used a thick layer of wood chips topped by layer after layer of straw..

I would imagine that sand would freeze during wisc winters and make sifting difficult..

I clean my coops in the spring time..

......jiminwisc......

I live in Sheboygan, WI and inherited our 4 hens when we bought our house last year. I'm not sure their breed, but they are the friendliest chickens I've ever known! They like to follow me around when I let them out of their enclosure and come running/half flying when I call "chick-chick-chick". They are so entertaining and I have loved having them. Each has such a unique personality. My kids helped name 2 of them...Hennifer and Eggster-- chicken versions of Jennifer and Esther. I thought that was pretty cute. The other 2 were named Squawkbox (because she never shuts up once she sees me!) and Curious Georgia (because she was always the first to do or investigate anything). Unfortunately we lost Georgia yesterday. :(

I live in Sheboygan, WI and inherited our 4 hens when we bought our house last year. I'm not sure their breed, but they are the friendliest chickens I've ever known! They like to follow me around when I let them out of their enclosure and come running/half flying when I call "chick-chick-chick". They are so entertaining and I have loved having them. Each has such a unique personality. My kids helped name 2 of them...Hennifer and Eggster-- chicken versions of Jennifer and Esther. I thought that was pretty cute. The other 2 were named Squawkbox (because she never shuts up once she sees me!) and Curious Georgia (because she was always the first to do or investigate anything). Unfortunately we lost Georgia yesterday. :(
Awww. Mine are all named after Disney princesses. Hahaha

Welcome to the cheeseheads Broken Egg. I prefer straw in the Winter time because of it's insulation abilities being hollow...however I prefer pine shavings the rest of the year. I clean my coops at least once a year and the bedding is allowed to compost and used in our gardens. Sand is really heavy to work with and it would be best in the outside run, if you have one attached to the coop. Try the sand if you have access to some...let us know what you think....everyone does things a little different.
Sounds like you are having fun with the girls MT. Did the hen die of old age? Never fun losing one of the flock, but it's part of raising chickens for sure....can't be avoided if you raise chickens long enough.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom