Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I broke down and plowed the driveway about an hour ago. I figured it will be easier to plow two small dump ons instead of one accumulated large one.
It is just starting to snow here right now.
of course Annie just went to town, too. she asked me if I wanted to ride along.
No thanks. I don't enjoy riding through a blizzard.. been there, done that too many times..

when I was fourteen years old, I drove my friend's dad's truck home from the woods with a load of long poles on it.
the load stuck way out the back just so there was enough weight on the front to steer the truck..
However, the drifts were across the road at about 4 to 5 feet deep. whenever I rammed through one, the front wheels would leave the ground. then i would have to wait a minuted until they touched again and I could proceed to the next one..
my friend was less fortunate. he had to ride one of the horses and lead the other one.
it was about a 12 mile trip..
took me forever to get home, took him a lot longer..
......jiminwisc.......

I love the blizzard stories especially yours Jim!
Thank goodness you all made it back safely!

Hope everyone had a great Easter! How many chicks do you have to sell BBP?
You wouldn't want to raise a dozen for me and bring them to the bash in 8 weeks, would you? For a fair price for your effort?
Hope the rest make it through for you CS.
Thanks to both of you that shared your chick pics!

bigz
If I decide to go to the bash I will let you know what I have available.

Sounds good BBP. We are getting dumped on real good with the white stuff. Was suppose to get the new Norge delivered today, but that's cancelled till next week now. The garage has been and will continue to be a walk in cooler.

bigz

Hello all you snow bound chz hds..
I have already watched more than my share of TV. about all puter'd out, too.

Annie went to town before the snow started
If it gets too bad, she might end up staying at DD Barby's for the night.

Yesterday I shopped for guinea hens.
Today the urge has passed..
Snow is a good reminder of why I don't want birds..
at least we can let the dogs come in for food and water.. they are still a PITA .
I need a piece of 1/2" dia cold rolled steel
but I am not going out in this to find one.

up here in the nort, we should build a cabinet in the porch to take the place of the fridge. then unplug the fridge for 6 months out of the year and save on electricity..

.......jiminwisc......

Last edited:
More like a freezer

yup, that, too..
we have two freezers out in the detached garage. I doubt if they run very much from Oct to April..

when I was a kid, my parents stored meat outside along side of the house.
eventually they bought a freezer.
I can remember that we didn't even have an ice box..
we were just remembering the other day.. I remember when smoking was allowed in movie theaters.
I remember when the dimmer switch in a car was a button on the floor that you stepped on with your foot. not to be confused with a similar button that activated the starter, before the little silver button on the dashboard came along. my first car had such a starter button, and it also had a hand crank.
a 1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster.
my friends dad had a Studebaker pu truck where the starter button was under the clutch pedal. a safety feature so you couldn't accidentally start the car in gear..
eggs were sold in brown paper bags at our mom and pop grocery store.
try riding your bike home across two sets of RR tracks without breaking any..
once a friend and I got to ride a short distance in a coal fired steam engine.
we could buy a 1/4 pound Baby Ruth candy bar for a dime..
........jiminwisc......

I remember the dimmer switch on the floor. I also remember when I was in 4th grade my dad was livid because gas went up to the same number as the speed limit, 55 cents per gallon and miles per hour. Was up to a dollar a gallon when I was a senior. We never worried about seatbelts and didn't always have them in the car. Dad was a cop back then and we lived in the sticks with lots of curvy roads. He would take me out for a drive on them doing 60 or better with me standing up in the middle in the back. Ah the good old days.....

Back
Top Bottom