Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I think if the chickens can take dust baths it would help with the gnats..
I called BiL to borrow his corn planter.
He did me one better, today he is coming to plant the corn for me..
I have to get out there right away and rototill the patch. I have it dragged and made raised beds, but there are still chunks of dirt that have to be broken up..
////jiminwisc////

YAY for BiL! It will be nice to have someone plant for you.
DH wanted to borrow a friends planter, but it is stored on his land in Adams county and the property is so wet you can't get to the shed where it is sitting...

the corn is planted. done by noon.
I kind of overdid it in this heat. but I came in and sat in the AC and took a nap. I feel fine, now.
I have a two row horse drawn corn planter converted to a tractor hitch. It is not worth the effort to drag it out for just a half pound of seed. it takes two people to run it. tractor driver and planter rider.
We were really surprised at how thin the top soil is where we planted today.
It used to be Annie's grandma's garden area.
it was nice and deep and loamy back then..
I was going to plant my tomatoes near the corn. but now I think I will be putting them in the garden near the house..

.........jiminwisc........

Last edited:
I weeded our corn patch yesterday. I did two plantings a week and a half apart. The first planting is about 5 inches tall, second planting just popping up.
I have 24 sweet potato slips ready for planting, hopefully today. I have some soil preparation to get done yet (I.e., stone/rock removal).
The roosters have been crowing here since 3am. This is the first morning I've heard them that early. :rolleyes:
Have a good day all!

Now that I finally have the corn planted, I can go on to other things. 8 tomato plants to go in.
and 2 packets of pole beans .
at least 3 grapes to plant, one mulberry and an apple tree..
the grapes outside are finally growing. I have some weeding to do. and sometime this summer I have to build the arbor..
the hardest part of the arbor will be digging the two end post holes.

No, my post hole digger is like a power ice auger..
I borrowed a 3pt digger years ago when I built my chicken fences..
I also have a couple of hand diggers, too..
I try to not use them..
......jiminwisc.....

Just needs a door, a roof, paint, and a chicken escape hatch...... and a chicken yard.
4881BABD-5A20-4441-BE15-86EA1A67755D.jpeg
0C9A4A7E-F4E9-4629-A7DD-566171A90DB5.jpeg
77B890D4-EE2F-4B88-8E8C-0CA2D3F86A6C.jpeg
F04B30C1-ED85-47B6-A1A8-287BF41D049A.jpeg

Good job ….. how many sq feet is it? Do have the nest boxes installed yet?
How was the sparegus? We still have to place our order, and I didn't even look at the stuff at the bash.....did you pickle some?....how's that for a few questions?

bigz

Back
Top Bottom