Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you all found the forum. We have alot of good information here to share. Stay a while....this is the best place for local friends to meet and share all we know, and would want to know....eh?
hide.gif

~ bigzio
Hello Wisconsin!
It is getting really cold tonight.
I am in Marquette county.
Anyone else?

Ugh this cold already! This is our hens first molt & our first time experiencing it. We have 7 (5 molting, 2 pullets). 3 of the 5 are having a hard molt. They are about half naked. Do we need to do anything special with this early cold. We do not heat the coop.
Listening too. My hens are pullets and I am finding feathers everywhere. They didn’t like the snow. I found them all hiding. Oh and I saw one fly the most amazing height and distance yet. 6 feet high about 15 feet... who knew?!
I am new here. How do I know where everyone is from?

:frow:welcome:frow
Not sure where Marquette county is.
We have people scattered all over the state.
Ski lives up near (or in) the UP.
Haven't heard from him in quite awhile.
........jiminwisc.....

@Bigbluefrog Welcome to the Cheesehead's Thread!
I live not to far from Green Bay, just a little ways north in Oconto County.
My birds don't seem to mind the cold too much, they just get really huffy when the water freezes.
The pop door between the coop and run is open most of the time. I will close it during snowstorms to keep as much snow out of the coop as I can, but otherwise it is open 24/7. As long as it isn't too windy, my birds will go out into the run every day. Sunny but -30*F, no problem; but windy and 32* they stay inside.
My first batch of birds had no problem with the snow, until it got deeper than they are, lol. This last batch does not like the snow though, so I have been trying to clear some areas for them during winter time.

@Bigbluefrog Welcome to the Cheesehead's Thread!
I live not to far from Green Bay, just a little ways north in Oconto County.
My birds don't seem to mind the cold too much, they just get really huffy when the water freezes.
The pop door between the coop and run is open most of the time. I will close it during snowstorms to keep as much snow out of the coop as I can, but otherwise it is open 24/7. As long as it isn't too windy, my birds will go out into the run every day. Sunny but -30*F, no problem; but windy and 32* they stay inside.
My first batch of birds had no problem with the snow, until it got deeper than they are, lol. This last batch does not like the snow though, so I have been trying to clear some areas for them during winter time.
Do you heat the coop? I installed a infrared light to add heat if needed. I have a small coop about 4 by 7 feet. And enclosed run about 8 by 12. I did put plastic up on run. I have birds in a sunny location but it is open to South and East wind. Partial exposure to west wind.The north part is wooded.
So I noticed the plastic immediately warmed it up to about 15 degrees warmer. Solar heat!

Green Bay? Go pack Go!
Well I am asking the right people about cold! Wisconsinites get it! Yes it is freezing! I noticed the pullets didn’t like the snow. They flew over it! It is the first time they saw it. So their feet can handle it well. I got cold hardy birds. New Hampshire reds and Dominique and one Bared Rock. 7 total
Well stay warm my Wisconsin friends!

Back
Top Bottom