Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Sold yellow corn small field .20 acre
Just about done selling 1/2 acre bi color and 1/2 acre left.
corn at the amish market up the road was 3.50 a doz.
Are you saying that you grow yellow sweet corn?
If so, how far are you from Hub City? "Richland county"
I always bought yellow sweet corn when I had a choice, but that was many years ago.
I picked a few cobs from the field corn field above the house yesterday for the chickens, but they were already getting dented and sort of hard. Maybe today I'll pick a couple small ears and see if they are softer. They still pick at it though.
They are getting very spoiled this year, with corn, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage and what their favorite is: watermelon, but I save that for hot days 🥵

corn at the amish market up the road was 3.50 a doz.
Are you saying that you grow yellow sweet corn?
If so, how far are you from Hub City? "Richland county"
I always bought yellow sweet corn when I had a choice, but that was many years ago.
I picked a few cobs from the field corn field above the house yesterday for the chickens, but they were already getting dented and sort of hard. Maybe today I'll pick a couple small ears and see if they are softer. They still pick at it though.
They are getting very spoiled this year, with corn, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage and what their favorite is: watermelon, but I save that for hot days 🥵
google says 1.5 hours. I am just north of La Crosse.
The yellow corn is pretty much done. It is a Sh2/SE type variety called Honey Select. Supersweet.
Honey selects is a AAS winner 2001?
The yellow corn has more flavor.. kernel more texture. The bi color I forget the type, but has more sugar and more tender kernel.
People really like the bi color, I get many compliments. The supersweet bi color is really sweet, just about over the top for me.
I actually like the yellow corn better.
Not sure if i will grow yellow next year. The yellow and bicolor overlap, risk some cross pollination, and hassle have to explain the difference in the two types.
Had sweet corn Monday, bi color left on counter from friday, still really sweet, but not like fresh picked. I thought it bit better.

I see West Lima. back in the early 80s I worked on the river, dock La Crosse. I remember going to West Lima delivering coal to a chruch there. Put the coal in basement. have the dump truck, gasoline driven conveyor. Do not see that anymore.

I think your in a declaration zone they just made, eagle eyes also maybe. I have some of my neighbors cattle on my property. 6 of them. brought them end July so lot of grass. He been feeding hay almost all summer.
His pasture after 100 plus degrees..ooofffff
Ill have to look if im in the zone.

Enjoying the moon tonight.
IMG_4392.jpeg

I think your in a declaration zone they just made, eagle eyes also maybe. I have some of my neighbors cattle on my property. 6 of them. brought them end July so lot of grass. He been feeding hay almost all summer.
His pasture after 100 plus degrees..ooofffff
Had to look that up, and yep Richland county is one of them, but interestingly not only are the counties in the drought relief zones eligable for state $/help but counties touching them also, which includes LaCrosse.
TOR, if you do grow yellow sweet corn next year, please let me know. I'll take a bike ride up and get some.
What a difference a day makes: 41 F this morning, predicted 98 F for Sunday. 😳

FFF again, where did the week go?
Deep fried store bought fish tonight with ho-made fries.
Tilapia and ocean perch with cole slaw and rye bread.
Removed my fence over the beets yesterday to harvest some for the freezer.
I was busy and forgot to replace the fence cover.
The deer ate the whole row last night tops and bottoms.... brats!
We have a huge deer herd here .... getting close to hunting season now.
I guess my never shoot a doe has created quite the population.

Stay Safe ...bigz

Had to look that up, and yep Richland county is one of them, but interestingly not only are the counties in the drought relief zones eligable for state $/help but counties touching them also, which includes LaCrosse.
TOR, if you do grow yellow sweet corn next year, please let me know. I'll take a bike ride up and get some.
What a difference a day makes: 41 F this morning, predicted 98 F for Su

I will let you know, the bicolor with the high sugar seems to be the most popular and is where the money is.
The yellow will get in a stage it has so much milk, creamy kinda tender, sweet, but not overly, some corn flavor. I take it over the bi color anyday.
The bi color has so much sugar I really like it for freezing.
Today a guy asked for the bi color and told me the yellow was meh.
2 days ago a guy asked for the yellow and didnt want the bi color..lol Anyway the guy today I said so you dont care for the yellow and he kinda backed up his words... I told him there is no right or wrong answer and I respect everyones answer and critique. really between the two hybrids it boils down to personal preference. It is what it is.

So I made a margarita, not much drinker. So not as good as resturant, so not sure if its the mix or I am not at a table paying 6 or 10 bucks for someone to make it for lol.

Tomorrow break 600 dozen for the half acre, it was goal.. been long week and half of being a corn picker.. sitting outside those hot days.

Not sure what we got out of the yellow corn. that was in 38 inch rows small field. bi color 32 inch. Side note, I noticed alot more corn with pollination issues in the 38 inch rows vs 32

Back
Top Bottom