Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

A gut pile and a carcass/hide pile are two very different things.
Around here the DNR puts dumpsters, black plastic lined for deer carcssses. and the boy scouts have a bin for hides.
Unless you have NO communication with him, I'd talk with him about your concerns.
The pile is obscured from my view by brush and trees. I can only see the hawks, eagles, and crows flying to it, and my border collie brought back some big skinless bone with meat on it. It was about a foot long. I guess I should investigate which it is, but regardless, it's drawing wildlife we don't want.

Our county has those dumpsters too but he's an a$$. My hubby said he'd try talk to him but we both know he'll most likely laugh in his face.

Your chickens are free ranging if the carcass is that close they may goto it. My chickens couple years ago were going to the neighbor's gut pile. It was quite abit aways and they must smell it? The pile did not last long anyways and that ended that.

Hope everyone had happy Thanksgiving.
I was worried about that too but these are silkies so half of the 14 of them didn't bother even coming outside lately and the ones that did hung out by the coop door. Yesterday and today they all came out and thankfully did not smell it or go that direction but came south, toward the house, garage, and sun. In the summer, they do go down a 4-wheeler path hubby made that runs down a steep hill to the creek, and this path is near the border of the idiot's land. Hopefully no more until spring now though but I bet it's full of yummy bugs now.

A gut pile and a carcass/hide pile are two very different things.
Around here the DNR puts dumpsters, black plastic lined for deer carcssses. and the boy scouts have a bin for hides.
Unless you have NO communication with him, I'd talk with him about your concerns.
Today I called our local DNR agent. He confirmed that there are dumpsters here too, and that since we live in the country, what he's doing is legal, but totally rude and uncalled for. He asked for our address. I asked him not to talk to the guy, that my hubby will. He agreed that would be best, but we both know it won't matter.

We then discussed the chickens as he wants to get some. ☺️

Never too old to learn. I made my first batch of sauerkraut. It took four weeks and turned out great. so now I have a
ten pound/one gallon batch going. It seems to be going well so far.
I am using less salt, I weigh out two pounds of shredded cabbage and add one Tablespoon of salt.
I remember doing this as a kid, so like 4-5 decades ago. My folks used a huge concrete-like container, probably 5 gallons or so, and after they put all the cabbage and whatever in, they put plate on the top. That's about all I remember though. Kudos to you for doing it.

yup, that's the way it was done.
my dad used a stone crock, I think it was eight gallons. he would put a large plate on the cabbage to hold it under the juice and put a large stone on the plate.
he also made dill pickles in that crock.
grandma had a crock of kraut in her basement , she was Polish..
I have one of those crocks. when the kids were little, it was full of mittens , hats and scarfs.
the kraut should be kept in the dark, light kills the enzymes needed for fermentation.
my latest batch is just one week old. I tasted it today.. yummy already , but can taste the raw cabbage a little, yet.
today I made a new recipe for venison sloppy joes. it was/is yummy. but next time I am going to leave the yellow mustard out.

Last batch of kraut I made was 46# of raw cabbage. I need to check the recipe but it was salt to every 4# of shredded cabbage. Weighed down with a big plate topped with a bag of brine to weigh down the cabbage and seal the edge. Cover top of crock with Saran and a towel strapped down with a few bungee cords. Marinate for 4-6 weeks (depending on ambient temperature).

Very similar to the recipe in the Ball canning book.

Back
Top Bottom