Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

WOW, lots of great comments on me looking for standard breed chickens.
Well, after talking with Amer, I realized that i really only want a flock of varied good looking, winter hardy chickens. Hatchery will be just fine. I have a number of breeds that i would prefer though.
The price for standards is way over my head, and after all it's just my backyard flock.

But after going to the Portage poultry show and seeing what those standard breed chickens looked like, that is what had me thinking about them.
The standards are night and day different birds from the hatchery birds from what I saw.
If it turns out there’s a breed you are really passionate about or just want some nice specimens, then you can take the dive and get quality stock. Otherwise hatchery is just fine.
Myself, I could never go back.
Someday, it will just be the d’Anvers that I have for chickens. But I hope to get some fancy pigeons, fancy geese, and fancy turkeys too.

If it turns out there’s a breed you are really passionate about or just want some nice specimens, then you can take the dive and get quality stock. Otherwise hatchery is just fine.
Myself, I could never go back.
Someday, it will just be the d’Anvers that I have for chickens. But I hope to get some fancy pigeons, fancy geese, and fancy turkeys too.
I won't go back either. This spring will be the first time I do selective breeding with these fancier ones. I won't hatch any of the older flock's eggs anymore. It will work out though as we need some eggs for the fridge.

I already see a hige difference from the eggs i hatched myself to chicks i bought from a hatchery.
The chicks from the eggs were show quality standard. Mainly with how quick they grew but also the friendliness and how the feathers look. I knew from 2 weeks that 2 were boys. I cant wait to get eggs from them to see the difference.

I already see a hige difference from the eggs i hatched myself to chicks i bought from a hatchery.
The chicks from the eggs were show quality standard. Mainly with how quick they grew but also the friendliness and how the feathers look. I knew from 2 weeks that 2 were boys. I cant wait to get eggs from them to see the difference.
I think that they are going to taste the same. :lau

If you want to get a good look at show birds, attend one of the poultry shows…. You can see the difference with the arch of the back, the feather quality, bird size…. Night and day difference. You also have the opportunity to speak with the judges and ask them what they look for when scoring the birds.

I try to attend the Poultry Show held in Portage every year.

Back
Top Bottom