Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey H & R check your pms, we'd like to get those pullets from you!

Wow wee, it's a cold and windy one out there today! We're going to be spending the weekend getting some of the fall stuff done around the farm, and I've still got plenty of coop cleaning...these weekends go FAST!

Becky those quail eggs are really cool...I had no idea they were so small. I showed them to Mom and she looked at me and said, "What? Now you want quail too?" But nope, I'm doing turkeys and meat chicken this upcoming spring, that will be more than enough. Mom and our two girls are trying to talk me into a goat, but I don't know anything about them. Yikes! Now we're into mammals.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!!!!!!!!! Welcome to all the newbies! Sorry but I won't be able to address everyones posts. Just wanted you to know my puter is up and running, thankfully! I want to thank you all for the good wishes and prayers it really means a lot! We've had nothing but support and well wishes from everyone. If any of you ever want to donate to a good charity please donate directly to the American Red Cross! They were there imediately to cover our hotel cost and provided many basic amenities. I can't say enough good things about them. Will write a letter to the local paper praising and thanking them and the hotel for all they've done as soon as I get a break.
gig.gif
I want to thank fm for passing along the phone call. Didn't want you all to worry needlessly. We're good as can be, the cats are coming around. Taz is understandably very needy, Bob's PO'd for the inconvience and the kids are still laying a few eggs a day. Tomorrow we're sitting down and having a rightous B'fast. Really looking forward to it! Thanks to all who offered help too but if I took everyone up on that it would be elbow to elbow in the house. L and I have been through a lot of crap in our lives and this but just one more chapter in the book. President Starky has a saying. Things are getting better!
thumbsup.gif

Glad to have you back Dr. H!!!! Missed your wit!

Went to the pumpkin patch in New London today. Wow is the Wolf River high!!! I would have to say it is worse than during the Spring thaw!

It is also COLD!!!! Beautiful day but that wind! Just takes the heat right out of you!!!!

I figured out my round-trip milage of driving to work and taking my DD to school; 112 miles round trip. I am thinking a hybrid of some kind is in order....... 18 MPG is just not going to cut it........

Get those plants covered, tonight is supposed to be a hard freeze for most of us!

Lots of eggs this morning- my silkies are laying like crazy. Thank g-d as my QGF decided to have an epileptic fit and jump to 106 degrees, killing my eggs in the 'bator. grrrrrrrrrr.

Hi Gothchick- it's always exciting getting birds in the mail... though my PO isn't always as excited as I am. LOL. I may have a white silkie pullet for you now that my young-ins have grown a bit older and some can be sexed-- I think you contacted me through my website before.

Dr. Haha- So glad to hear from you and that you've had such wonderful help from people. Keep us updated and stay well!

beckyschicks Those quail eggs are awesome-- absolutely gorgeous and so tiny. Do you eat them or incubate?

*waves to Babylady, Bigzio, Hens & Roos, Terri O, fordmommy, WIChook and everyone else*

BBCB- We are having a bday party for the girls here tommorow and You, T and the girls are more than welcome to come. It starts at 2pm.

Hello everyone,

All the new chicks are still alive and doing great. My other older chicks are also doing great and I have an EE pullet that is feathering out to be absolutely gorgeous. I'm not sure what her coloring is labeled as or anything and she probably isn't anything special but she is so far the prettiest chicken I've ever seen, in person that is. I have seen some online that I adored as well.

Another exciting thing, we finally got our new incubator. I ended up spending more and just buying the Brower Top Hatch instead of the LG. I figured this way it has a one size fits all egg tray so I wont have to buy extra things if I decide to try hatching different types of eggs someday. I also have a bid going on some BCM hatching eggs! So hopefully I get them and all goes well. I'd probably be happy if only one hatched out my first try. LOL!

Does anyone know how the bid exactly works? I set up a paypal account but I can't find where I put in my credit card information, or do I just put that on their paypal after the bid is over? I'm a bit confused and I don't want to mess it up and get bad feedback or anything. Thanks for anyone that can help.

MeettheFlockers- I think I did e-mail you about your silkies. Right now we are just going to buy some hatching eggs and try hatching our own. I came to the realization that I can't afford to buy a started pullet. LOL! We might eventually want to show the birds with my daughter in 4-H but right now she is too young. We really want her to just have one for a pet but I like the way the SQ ones look.
roll.png
So we are going to hatch some and pic our favorites and sell the rest.

Doc H Good to have you back, brother! IT certainly is uplifting to hear how the unselfish help is there when you need it...this place wasn't the same without you...quieter....! Hoping you're getting things back in order slowly and great to know that you and L are in good spirits.

Meet the Flockers thanks for the invite, but Mom doesn't have the girls tomorrow and I've got to work. Hopefully soon we'll all get together.

Well, Mom and I got a chance to get up to Cottage Grove and meet Hens and Roos and her family. What great people, and oh my am I jealous of her flock!!!! She's got wheaten cochins, partridge cochins, wellsummers, marens, wheaten ameraucanas, white rock and more...we got her Andalusian pullets and they'll be a nice addition to my other hens. Man, it's amazing how many great people I've met because of BYC...chickens will do that, I guess!

Now we've added 9 birds in the last week, but both sets are being quarantined in dfferent pens...they're getting familiarized with their new digs and I'm looking forward to all the chaos when everyone meets each other, beak to beak.

Last edited:
Hens n Roos...If a buyer backs out. I would love 1 of the blue andalusian pullets.

I think I am going to have to cull the frizzle chick, one leg is sticking straight out in front the other can't support her...
sigh.
Glad to see everyone back
Carol

Saturday Harvest Day To All....busy day here on the hill. The hard freeze coming makes for a busy day here collecting all the goodies before the freeze does.
Doc glad you're up and running....like BBCB said, it's quiet without your chatter. Good to hear that their is help out there when one needs it.
fm, some of the males aren't the nicest to the hens....that one can live with...the manfighters will flog you every chance they get. You can't turn your back on them or you get nailed. Hugo hates me and suzie. I was so nice to him, and I'm so disappointed. I was nailed once, and so was suzie, and I had to kick him away numerous times. He is nasty toward people and killed one of my 5 year old brahma hens. He is going to the freezer in the morning. Glad I saved 2 for this very reason. He is gorgeous, but manfighters must be culled...that's rule number one here.
Have a great Sunday Everyone... ~ bigzio

OH Doc I'm so happy that you guys are ok! I do like the Red Cross and they are actually the only charity I don't hesitate to donate too. Keep happy and healthy!
Aren't those quail eggs great and what a machine. One egg everyday like clockwork. I will incubate a couple just to have more and then probably eat the rest. Maybe sell the eggs, who knows. BBCB- I happen to know someone who has a couple of goats and would be willing to sell them cheap. Actually it's me and goats are one of the easiest "mammals" next to dogs and cats to talk care of. As long as you have shelter and hay they are happy. An area for them to grass in the summer. We have fainters, they don't jump and are not as aggresive as other breeds. We are not breeding any more but still have babies from this year and adults. Think about it.
Well I had an adventure today. The horses knock over the quail cage I just made. Long story as to how they did that. Any way my little boy in there got out. Gone. Couldn't find him yesterday, looked everywhere. Well tonight at dusk I hear him calling. So I grab the flashlight and went looking. I hear him in the soybean field across the road. As soon as I'm about to give up I spotted him. When he finally gave up trying to fly, he just stayed in one spot and I picked him up. I think he was actually happy. He just snuggled into my coat and sat quietly until I started to get close to the bottom barn and then he start to coo. I put him back in his cage, he snuggled right under the hay, looking happy. Poor guy, I felt so bad for him. Isn't it amazing that I was able to find him! That I think is the coolest part. Made my day. Well have to go. Take care everyone!

Good Morning Everyone! That felt good to type! You'll have to forgive me if repeat things my brain is on overload. Sometimes I find myself spinning circles and not getting anything done or going someplace in the house and getting there only to find that I don't remember why I was there. Have been running a hot fire in the wood stove to dry out the house. Hopefully will get a repairman here tomorrow to fix the fridge and freezer. Both are about a year old. The fridge in the camper will only run on gas after hauling it home might be as simple a fix as a relay but it really drinks the LP. At least it works! Getting the septic pumped tomorrow so then we'll have a toilet. Won't have running water until I can get the crawl space pumped out and the pressure switch replaced. Forgot to turn off the power to it. Been putting off pumping out the crawlspace for fear of the walls caving in from outside pressure, might be able to start pumping today if the water has gone down enough. There are so many things that we have to be thankful for, it could have been a lot worse! You guys are on the long list! Becky that's really a cool story about the quail!!! Bigz sorry to hear your roo isn't working out but rules are there for a reason. Hope the hard frost last night didn't ruin any of your hard work! Yup BBCB like I sad we've been through a lot in ours lives and we're survivors. L was headed downtown yesterday and I was talking to her in the driveway and we were laughing at Peatwo and Buster. They were trying to out crow each other it was hilarious! I just hope they can get along later. I won't cull either one. Yes I know I yak a lot but it's good therapy and you guys are good listeners so it's as much you fault as mine. Thanks for putting up with me! Have a great day!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom