Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Good morning folks,

well the storm we were supposed to have pass through this morning evaporated somewhere SW of here,,,but when I woke up early thinking about high winds from the E and remembering that this new grow out cage is open on the east I decided to go out and attach a section of steel roofing to the one side.....chuckling to myself at 4:30 working in front of the truck lights wth was I thinking?
idunno.gif

anyway,,,,had some rain,,,,not much,,,had an hour of sun,,,now back to cooler, cloudy, windy,,,,,good day for a few hours in the gh

has anyone been messing with olive eggers? I wonder the value of a roo that has the right genetics,,,,curious mainly because one of the Marans that I got is a roo (and yes there were a 2 that were bred for dark olive egg color),,,nice beard starting to show up.....

Next sunny day I'll get some pics of these 6 wk old feathered chicks,,,some interesting color schemes in this cross for sure

Jake decided to read a newspaper (gotta stop laying the sections I read on the floor),,,,apparently he didn't agree with an article written about the recall,,,,as a dog his reply was to cr@p on it

Yeah Jim,,,TO is right,,,, maybe only had one cuppa at that point?

soaking a couple varieties of peas,,,, get them in b4 it freaking snows tomorrow night. I love fresh peas,,,,sell some sugar snaps but don't make a big deal of it,,,I'll harvest another few lbs of spinach that are on order as well

bbl

BBP cute ball of yarn!!!
Candled a couple eggs and they still are moving around.....I will be so P#$%ed if I get nothing from this hatch.....AND I AM the rented mule at my house!!!! Will spend the day in Plum City today with family....My niece has her freshmen smorgsbord and the she is in the school play....nice way to spend a rainy day.....

Angiebubs- I was thinking of all that wasted fenced space too when I was over there. You need some goats. Or to sell someone like me all your fence posts and gates for my future goats. Lol

Last edited:
BBP your kids are adorable and the bunny is pretty cute too. I think the black Orpingtons are pretty and I believe (don't quote me on this) that they are rare.

chickenscratch maybe you can get a higher watt bulb so the have some heat? Or a 100 w red bulb? The first chicks I had when they were to go into the coop the first night were making a lot of noise. I was out there and watched. There was one chick who kept calling the ones that were still outside. Then that chick went outside and tried to show the others how to come in the coop. That one chick was really upset when they didn't come into the coop right away. Lots of noise. So that is my story. lol

My EEs are somewhat flighty and they don't lay olive eggs. They are good free rangers though. The Ameraucanas are much friendlier, but not very sensible birds. The EE is a cross between a phoenix and Ameraucana and I think they are very pretty but personality wise they aren't so good. The roo is a real challenge there is no taming him down. He scratches my arms all up and when I do get a good hold on him and talk nice he tries to bite me. I know onthespot(Patty) on here used Marans for her olive eggers and had wonderful luck. She produced a barred olive egger which was very pretty.

Last edited:
TO< Dan, OK OK, I saw that you guys saw.. maybe it wasn't a typo ?

I was in the shop working on the drawers.. after making a mistake and almost another, I quit and came in for some b'fast.

I have 4 turkeys in the hatcher.. No quails , yet..

the barrocks gave 7 eggs today already.. 100% they must like this rainy blustery weather..

Annie went to town.. Is going to pick up some lower Watt light bulbs.. the 250W are too hot for the chicks in the brooder.. I had 2 of them on,, turned one off and it is still too hot..

chkscrtch. chickens are creatures of habit.. they will be fine once they get used to their new habit.. I had a flock of chickens in a coop years ago.. One day I took the tractor and dragged the coop about 100 feet to where it is now.. for the next two nights, all the chickens went to the spot where the coop used to be and slept on the ground..

Just came in for a delicious lunch of some of today's eggs mixed with sauteed veggies and cheese curds....man I am STUFFED! Now I can go and work. I am eating while sitting on my porch swing and dreaming of how it will look when I get the junk off of it (sure wish Tom would come back on...dont wanna haul this stove to the bash for nothing!) ans the curtains up around the edges! I have new cushions for my swing that I got on clearance and they are so comfy! I prolly could take a nap....
There was much I was going to respond to...hmmm, seems to be all gone! Oh the electric fence thing...if you made 8 strands starting 2" off the ground and going up every 2-3" they MIGHT stay in...or you could just get some of that electric poultry netting from Premier I --that would keep your dogs away too...I dont think hunting dogs are as smart as border collies...they just jump over that fence! Strand electric isnt too good for goats either. They figure out how to get through without being shocked. I keep mine in cattle panels and cyclone fencing. The neighbor is not too happy if they get into his corn!

OK--my lunch is done and maybe I can do a few things before it rains here...the wind seems to be picking up a bit now....later! Terri O

(PS) Nice cover up Jim!
hugs.gif

Jodie I am sure they are a bit scared. It is hard on chickens to move. Sometimes people give the birds extra vitamins after a move or scrambled eggs always works good. Maybe if you take them seperately in some grass and sit with them a little while they might open up a bit? Best wishes! :) The little ones here huddle in the corner when anything new happens, not like the adults. But when I let them out I see them playing in the garden. It makes me sad to know they are scared I hope they can sumen up the bravery to come out of their shell.

I'm lost . Sounds like a good lunch. I am trying to figure out how far Clintonville is from Eau Claire. I am on 94. Can't find my map and google maps or whatever messes with my computer too much. I habve to go do some more work too. Got a lot done yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom