Wisconsin Winter Temps and Heating Coop?

MizzHen

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Appleton, Wisconsin
Hi, I live in Wisconsin. The temps just started getting down to the teens at nighttime. I have not been heating my coop until last night, when the temps dropped. I have a thermostat set so the heat emitter goes on at 28 degrees and off at 32 degrees. The chickens seemed pretty cozy through the night. Is this about the temperature that others keep their coops at or should it be set cooler/warmer? I don’t want the chicken relying on the heat in case the power goes out and I don’t want moisture to become an issue. What temp do you keep your coops set. Thanks!!

You already mentioned good reasons not to heat.
Chickens need to become acclimated to the conditions they will be exposed to. A power outage wouldn't help them. If you keep the coop in the 20s F and you open the door in the morning, imagine the stress when they walk out into a -20F wind.
If your coop is closed up enough to retain heat humidity will become a problem.
Why would one need heat in the coop when they don't heat the outside during the day?
At least inside, they are out of the wind.
They don't change into their pajamas at night. They go to roost still wearing their winter coat and down undercoat.

Last year we saw some short spells of temps 15-20 below zero with wind chills -30. My hens did just fine, they coop has 4 windows that are open for ventilation, the peak of the vent is open and all the eaves are open 24/7 365. Two years and no problems related to the cold. Other then eggs freezing if I don't get them collected in time.

Hi, I live in Wisconsin.
Hi I live in Canada.

My method for dealing with winter is quite simple one extra feeder of whole corn. I am subject to -40º. I have 67 trips around the sun. I have raised various types of chickens and birds for decades.

TLC still has to be provided to birds that may not be adapting well to the diet. For the most part birds are vocal happy and do just fine. NO HEAT NO EXTRA LIGHT please and thank you works fine for me and my flock.

If for any reason you find it necessary to supply electricity to your coop via extension cord.

Please employ a "Ground Fault Outlet" also use a "Safety Chain" in conjunction to any heat lamp or incandescent bulb after mounting.
One coop fire is too many and these precautions could be the difference.

A simple action such as a rodent chewing on your extension cord could be the cause of a coop fire and a ground fault circuit could be the difference in witnessing your coop in tack or a pile of smoldering ash.

gf-outlet-jpg.1164047

P.S. There are now a variety of ground fault extension cords available in major retail centers that also would be a wise investment.

Assuming the coop is dry and well-ventilated, they'll be fine without any supplemental heat. Even with the open windows, it will feel warmer inside the coop than outside, especially when it's windy. You just want to keep them out of direct drafts (e.g., drafts blowing on them while they're roosting).

I've heard that each chicken gives off heat equivalent to a 10 watt light bulb, so that's a natural source of heat you may not have considered. Their feathers will also trap an amazing amount of heat. I've had chickens for several years and have never heated the coop, even when the temps dropped to -22 F. They'll be fine unless you've got breeds that are vulnerable to the cold (e.g., Silkies).

Thanks everyone who responded to my question. This is my first winter with chickens. I still want to treat them like babies, but need to realize how strong they’ve become since spring. My concern on heat occurred because one of my girls was sleeping in her nest box, which is not typical. She may have just been broody that night as she hasn’t done it since. The coop is well ventilated,without drafts and the humidity is around 35%-41%

Sorry for your terrible loss! And thank you so much for the information and suggestions.

Hi I live in Canada.

My method for dealing with winter is quite simple one extra feeder of whole corn. I am subject to -40º. I have 67 trips around the sun. I have raised various types of chickens and birds for decades.

TLC still has to be provided to birds that may not be adapting well to the diet. For the most part birds are vocal happy and do just fine. NO HEAT NO EXTRA LIGHT please and thank you works fine for me and my flock.

If for any reason you find it necessary to supply electricity to your coop via extension cord.

Please employ a "Ground Fault Outlet" also use a "Safety Chain" in conjunction to any heat lamp or incandescent bulb after mounting.
One coop fire is too many and these precautions could be the difference.

A simple action such as a rodent chewing on your extension cord could be the cause of a coop fire and a ground fault circuit could be the difference in witnessing your coop in tack or a pile of smoldering ash.

gf-outlet-jpg.1164047

P.S. There are now a variety of ground fault extension cords available in major retail centers that also would be a wise investment.

Sorry

Thanks everyone who responded to my question. This is my first winter with chickens. I still want to treat them like babies, but need to realize how strong they’ve become since spring. My concern on heat occurred because one of my girls was sleeping in her nest box, which is not typical. She may have just been broody that night as she hasn’t done it since. The coop is well ventilated,without drafts and the humidity is around 35%-41%

Sometimes they'll try to roost in the nest boxes for other reasons as well, such as too much roost competition or to try to stay secluded while they're molting (especially when they have lots of pin feathers).

Back
Top Bottom