Woke up this morning.. All goslings dead..

My mom called a hatchery in Iowa and they said that it was probably that the tap water that we gave them was chlorinated. It makes sense.. Yesterday they did some serious swimming in it and drank a lot afterwards.. The chickens don't drink as much as the geese, and don't swim in it..

I dunno.. It had to be something poison-related, and something very deadly that struck suddenly or accumulated over time. In my mind, that points to their water or their feed.. Unless Southern States gave us medicated by accident.. I dunno. They were bright and happy when I checked on them last night..
There weren't any bite marks or anything.. Ugh. So confusing. So weird.

Wonder if there was anything in/on the grass they ate yesterday. Herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer?

So sorry you lost your babies.
sad.png

I don't think so.. Unless someone put it on without my mom knowing. They were grazing at our organic store..

My mom just called and apparently found some really young goslings in northern PA.. It's bittersweet, but I know I'll want them eventually and this is the last time I can get them. So I think we're driving up tomorrow..

I was thinking of bringing them to the necropsy lab at UMD, but I pretty much know that it was some sort of poison. With the new ones, we're going to monitor everything they eat.. Wash, rinse, repeat on any greens they get until they're big.. Distilled water only.. Everything. I can't deal with this sort of heartbreak again. I feel so bad for them.. Like I let them down or something.

If they were inside your house, was a/c running? How hot was it in the room they were in? If they were sprawled out and one was wet I'm betting they died of hypothermia. That they played in their water and got wet and without a light to get under to get dry and warm, they died of hypothermia. I've had it happen to chicks before when brooded with ducks and once when the power went out during the night.

I would have to guess that they were too cold also. At one week old, don't they still need a heat lamp, at least at night?

It was only around 60 here during the night last night, that would be really cold for a young bird with no feathering, right?

Sorry you lost your goslings...hope you can get those new ones!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom