Won 6 chickens in a raffle today! What are they?!? :)

Good idea on contacting show admin, will do.

Luvmypet, are you serious? Are you close to CT? I don't want to sell them as I love them but I'm not technically allowed to have roosters where I am. Was considering seeing how loudly they crow but I'm not terribly hopeful. :(

Good idea on contacting show admin, will do.

Luvmypet, are you serious? Are you close to CT? I don't want to sell them as I love them but I'm not technically allowed to have roosters where I am. Was considering seeing how loudly they crow but I'm not terribly hopeful.
sad.png
Yes and No. Dang it Lol i just really want a breeding pair...Good luck here this is what he should looklike if he was dubbed, and had all his tail feathers.
the hens dont get dubbed. So jealous

Ok really stupid question here....if they're mixed breeds...there's no way to show them, right? My kids got all excited to show these birds and have been practicing their showmanship since we got home (those poor birds will sleep well tonight!). I'm not concerned about winning though it would be fun, just want to start learning the chicken show routine. I just don't want to be laughed out of the ring or offend people as I know I'm rather annoyed when an exhibitor brings a completely unruly dog to a show.

Ok really stupid question here....if they're mixed breeds...there's no way to show them, right? My kids got all excited to show these birds and have been practicing their showmanship since we got home (those poor birds will sleep well tonight!). I'm not concerned about winning though it would be fun, just want to start learning the chicken show routine. I just don't want to be laughed out of the ring or offend people as I know I'm rather annoyed when an exhibitor brings a completely unruly dog to a show.
I highly doubt they're mixed breeds. I may not know WHAT breed they are, but if you're familiar with purebred dogs, you know you don't necessarily know the breed right off, but you know quality when you see it, and I'm seeing it here.

Plus, for showmanship in things like 4-H, I believe they can be mixed breed birds. APA shows will be purebred birds (do APA shows have showmanship classes? Or is that just a 4-H/FFA thing?)

The first two are definitely blue laced red Wyandotte (bantams). The first is unfortunately a rooster of the breed, the second is a hen. I have a splash blue laced red that looks EXACTLY like her - check out my chicken album on my profile. The others are - again unfortunately - roosters though I have never had that breed. Try using Craig's List to rehome them if you can't keep them. That sure was a lucky draw!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the recommendations/suggestions/guesses. I won't get rid of them if I don't have to. Trying to buy property and build a strawbale house within the next 12 months so I'll figure out what to do w them until then. Oh I'd love to show them and I know the dog world inside and out but man I am at a total loss here. So excited about getting to know the chicken world better. I just LOVE them so much. Such great pets and helpful members of the family. :) Cannot wait to get land and start a great chicken collection!! And bees! And goats! And rabbits!

You guys are just so much help! Thanks again.

Next question...if I clip their wings then I won't be able to show them I'm guessing? Any other suggestions for stopping them from flying over my neighbors fence? My buff orps stay happily in our yard all day long w no escapees once I clipped their wings.

Back
Top Bottom