wont lay in egg box

skunkape74

Hatching
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Hendersonville NC
Hey Hey...

The ladies are laying but not in their boxes. I tried the golf balls but they still lay elsewhere. Laying is limited to the coop, haven't found eggs in the run. I have pine shavings as litter. I put hay in the boxes and they kicked it out, then I put the shavings in the boxes and they kicked that out too. Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks!

All of my hens lay in the nesting boxes except my Barred Rock, Fidget. She just doesn't seem to like them. As long as she lays in the coop I let her be.
idunno.gif

Hey Hey...

The ladies are laying but not in their boxes. I tried the golf balls but they still lay elsewhere. Laying is limited to the coop, haven't found eggs in the run. I have pine shavings as litter. I put hay in the boxes and they kicked it out, then I put the shavings in the boxes and they kicked that out too. Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks!
Pics of your nests might help.

Having about a 4" high front on the boxes will help keep bedding, balls and eggs in the nests.
When they first start laying, they can be quite goofy and it can take up to a month or so until they get it all figured out....until then, eggs everywhere some of them rather funky looking. Once they get the idea they'll stop scratching the bedding as much, I like to use straw as it stays together better, harder to kick out. Give them time, they'll figure it out.

One of my pullets this year did not like the golf ball in her nest, I took it out and she started using the nest, so maybe leave one or two nests without the balls.

Thanks. There's a lip on the front but maybe not tall enough. I was going to try putting an egg in the nest, maybe they wont kick that out. They are new layers so I guess there's hope. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom