wood ash, is that safe?

How often would chickens need to ash-bathe? I have a chicken tractor, so no good place to dump a bucket full of ash in the run. I have a good dry spot under my porch, but they'd only have access to it in the afternoons when i get home from work and they can free range. Is this enough?

How often would chickens need to ash-bathe? I have a chicken tractor, so no good place to dump a bucket full of ash in the run. I have a good dry spot under my porch, but they'd only have access to it in the afternoons when i get home from work and they can free range. Is this enough?
Yes. They do enjoy their baths, but with the limited space of small coops there often little more you can do.

I work for a Wabash Wood Products a division of Wabash National. We product 12-15 tons of wood ash per week. it is wet and I need to get rid of it. If anyone is interested in contacting me about it I would love to talk to someone about it.

I work for a Wabash Wood Products a division of Wabash National. We product 12-15 tons of wood ash per week. it is wet and I need to get rid of it. If anyone is interested in contacting me about it I would love to talk to someone about it.
Is this from scrap that's burned?
What kind of wood?

Most chicken keepers use very small amounts of wood ash in dust bathing areas for pest prevention......
......I would imagine no one uses more than a couple handfuls a week, if that, and it needs to be dry.

I have a covered area back of my coop sort of like a porch. I keep one corner dry and filled with diamatous earth and wood ashes for dusting they love it. I use a bucket full of each in an area about 4 x 4 feet.

Just saw a YouTube video that said pure wood ash is good but then they turned around and said "if it gets wet - it makes lye and that will burn their feet!"

We have a fire pit but only burn hardwood in it...no chems to start the fires, and now I'm afraid to use the wood ash.

Anyone out there know if this video was wrong or was he referring to wood ash that has treated lumber or other chems in it? If this is going to burn my girls' feet - I've got to remove it ASAP! :( Thanks folks!

Linda in NC
6/24/17

Sorry, I don't know the answer to wet woodash, but you can just place a large cat litter box with it in the coop, that way it is sure to stay dry.
Just saw a YouTube video that said pure wood ash is good but then they turned around and said "if it gets wet - it makes lye and that will burn their feet!"

We have a fire pit but only burn hardwood in it...no chems to start the fires, and now I'm afraid to use the wood ash.

Anyone out there know if this video was wrong or was he referring to wood ash that has treated lumber or other chems in it? If this is going to burn my girls' feet - I've got to remove it ASAP! :( Thanks folks!

Linda in NC
6/24/17

Thanks, Stephine! I can't do that but I appreciate the response! I'm going to use the existing covered area they have now in the cove - but instead of it staying a feeding station...it will be the new DUST BATHING SPA!

That way it won't get too wet and they can use it year round! Btw...they've been dust bathing a lot but they need to more now as they have a mild case of mites - ugh! I'm treating it but I need a daily prevention that they love & enjoy! Thanks again and I'll post some pics and results in a few more days!

They are also getting fresh garlic/cheese & eggs once a day and a spraying of the Poultry Protector and lots of dust from the canister that has permethrin 10% in it!

I just hate using OTC products, so the chicken-grade sand with lots of pure, hardwood ash would be great for them!
SAM_8171.JPG
SAM_8173.JPG
SAM_8324.JPG

Back
Top Bottom