Woods Coop in Canadian Winter a Good Idea?

This picture taken from the @Howard E thread, his Woods in winter.

20190112_092622-jpg.1640121

My only concern is the draft it may cause. I realize there is the air cushion effect (which I still don't fully understand yet) but my idea of a chicken coop is more like a barn. So no open area to the elements. But people have told me that this air cushion effect works and doesn't get to the birds. My concern is the drafts like I mentioned. How far can the wind get in a woods coop?
You're missing that the direction of the coop is key.

The coop has to be South facing (SE I think?)

You won't have a bitter cold wind from the south.

You're missing that the direction of the coop is key.

The coop has to be South facing (SE I think?)

You won't have a bitter cold wind from the south.
Although S/SE orientation would be great for solar gain...it is not critical.
When you are in CAN, bitter cold can come from any direction.

Although S/SE orientation would be great for solar gain...it is not critical.
When you are in CAN, bitter cold can come from any direction.
I understand that it won't be the wind from the south that causes me to sweat in December here in the Carolinas.

I thought that a North facing Woods coop was a really bad idea?

The Wood's coop faces to the south/southeast, to take in all the sunlight possible. The sunlight coming in through the side and top windows, absolutely floods the coop with light. This is not a dark, shadowy coop. As I posted before, wind direction and wind speed, doesn't mean anything to this coop. The only problem I have found, as far as wind goes, if it is blowing right at the front of the coop, I better have a firm grip on the door when I open it to go in. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

I am in Alberta and almost finished my 6 x 10' Woods coop. I am hoping that it works as suggested by @JackE. So far I have noticed that on a day when our wind is coming from the South it's pretty breezy in the coop, at least at the front, however I do not yet have my door installed as I've been going in and out of the coop daily while construction is underway. I do have a plan B, which is to order some clear reinforced vinyl tarps that can be installed over the front openings if the wind is outrageous. It is only a plan B so far, I'm bravely counting on this design to work for me. I'm not far from Claresholm, the one Alberta location mentioned in the book :)

Back
Top Bottom