Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
The original 10' x 16' Woods house does have the west side window towards the back for light and ventilation. BUT, the side windows should be made to easily open and close. Mine just slide sideways. If weather is anticipated, just close it. One or both can be left that way for days on end if need be. Same with the monitor windows up top. But even if it did rain in now and then, the world will keep spinning. In a really dry climate, it might actually help with litter management.

Regardless of what house is used, -40F is extremely cold for most breeds of birds. But birds built for the cold.....those with small combs or pea combs can deal with it fine....at least for a few nights.

Definitely not the end of the world :) Thanks for your time. I guess I'll just have to buy the book and adjust to what works best. I'd love to use concrete for the flooring but 1. it's expensive and 2. I believe the tax man can get me at the point and those sob's get plenty from me already.

But, as far as temp goes, every other animal seems to survive it. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
Probably ;)
I don't have a Wood's coop but mine is a converted horse stall in an old barn. No heat and you would have to have money to burn to try. Inside the coop is the same temp as outside the barn. The girls are still fine at -20°F, they just fluff up their feathers and make day nests in the barn alley dirt /shavings floor.

Probably ;)
I don't have a Wood's coop but mine is a converted horse stall in an old barn. No heat and you would have to have money to burn to try. Inside the coop is the same temp as outside the barn. The girls are still fine at -20°F, they just fluff up their feathers and make day nests in the barn alley dirt /shavings floor.
Haha :) Neither of my existing coops are heated (I don't believe in adding supplemental heat unless they are chicks, of course), but they are insulated. There can be a 20-30 degree variance between in and outdoor temps. While my ventilation is lacking, the hygrometer is almost always within 5% of outdoor.
I'm surprised your temp is the same!

Three sides open and rain...

only opening is the front. THere are windows, but they are not huga compared to the opening.
No rain gets into my coop.

none of my coops are heated.

ED5206B6-D6CE-4B7D-94BB-E99E43F30D6A.jpeg
We are easy to start building over the next couple weeks. I have two questions. What did you use to make sure the floor was level and sturdy? Cement blocks?

Also, I am looking to add storage and here are the options I can up with. Feedback on pros/cons of each would be appreciated from everyone. We are building a 10x16 woods style coop.

1) use a space to the side of the roosting area on the back wall to build floor to ceiling shelves, these would have chicken wire doors so they can be converted to a broody box

2) go with the dropping tray under the roosting bars and put in dividers with chicken wire doors so it can be converted to a broody box

3) build a flat top nesting box with shelves above and chicken wire doors. Again to be used as storage and broody box if needed

Because I am on a hill and have to trees for shade, mine is built up off the ground lime a deck and the coop is raised. So string line and level.

Building on the ground, same deal, excavated earth, antidig wire build your base and build up. I dont have critters living in the tight space under my coop as I am far off the ground.

Shelves gather dust and add more grooves for mites.

I wouldnt put anything under the roosts. Accessibility is low and poop is great. ( i did have a broody area under mine and chucked it)

Build a separate broody area. No use in having something in there that takes up space 100% of the time for rare use.

No flat top nest box. Theyll climb and poop on it.

Thanks for the feedback. I just want to get the chicken stuff out of the garage. Whatever we have I was going to fully enclose so they can’t get in/on it to hide eggs or poop on it.

My woods chicken coop does not have a raised floor. Mine are on the ground. A high area that does not get flooded, but stays dry. The material on the floor rots nicely. Remove lowest levels periodically.

Back
Top Bottom